Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Avoiding PowerBi memory failure in CefSharp module

We're working with a .pbix that contains a custom visual that uses a lot of memory because it displays complex structures with Webgl. Using the report on PowerBi Web works correctly, if we open the report in PowerBi Desktop we get  the error  'this report ran out of memory, and application must close.'

We discovered that CefSharp component fails because of the default memory limit. We created a .Net project with CefSharp and reproduced the problem. we discovered that it is possible to configure the amount of managed memory during CefSharp initialization (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55099372/cefsharp-chromium-javascript-increase-memory-limit)

CefSettings settings = new CefSettings();

settings.CefCommandLineArgs.Add("--js-flags", "--max_old_space_size=16384");

Actually we can load under CefShap component a report page  that uses more than 3gb of memory.

It would be useful to handle this parameter in PowerBi Desktop to avoid fails when using memory-consuming reports.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@powerbiblogic ,

This should be a memory limitation of power bi desktop. I would suggest you create an idea here to help power bi improve.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

powerbiblogic
Advocate III

@v-yuta-msft,

it is not a Power BI limit but an error due to the default configuration of the cefSharp component.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@powerbiblogic ,

I'm not able to reproduce this issue. If this issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket here.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao