Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Authorization Header Gone

Authorization Gone.JPG

I wanted to list the issue here even though it was asked Monday in the forum. It doesn't appear that it was actually answered though since I can't download an old version of PowerBi to test it. I need the authorization in order to pull data from the Airtable API. Is there something else I can use or is this a bug? 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/REST-API-web-data-source-Authentication-Header-is-gone/m-p/...

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kswiss50

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 183348894. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Ehren
Employee

Hi @kswiss50In the March release, we restricted the list of headers shown in the UI to those that we support for all auth types. Some folks on the team also feel that showing the Authorization header might encourage people to put credentials into their query, which is unsafe. That said, the dropdown box, in addition to allowing you to select from the list, also allows you to type an arbirary header value. So as a workaround, you can always manually enter "Authorization", even though it no longer shows up in the list.

kswiss50
Regular Visitor

Thanks @Ehren for the response. Since I'm a newb at PowerBi and not a programmer, how do I manually enter Authorization? 

I copied a formula I got from a different post into the Power Query but it doesn't refer to the authorization. It works but didn't know if there is a better way to do it. I also have more than the 100 records allowed so I use the Pagination code. 

let
Pagination = List.Skip(List.Generate( () => [Last_Key = "init", Counter=0], // Start Value
each [Last_Key] <> null, // Condition under which the next execution will happen
each [ Last_Key = try if [Counter]<1 then "" else [WebCall][Value][offset] otherwise null,// determine the LastKey for the next execution
WebCall = try if [Counter]<1 then Json.Document(Web.Contents("airtable address?api_key=key))
else Json.Document(Web.Contents("airtable address?api_key=key"&Last_Key&"")), // retrieve results per call
Counter = [Counter]+1// internal counter
],
each [WebCall]
),1)
in
Pagination

Ehren
Employee

Hi @kswiss50. I updated my reply above. You shouldn't need to do any fancy M-wrangling. Simply type the value "Authorization" into the dropdown box.Authorization.png

Ehren

kswiss50
Regular Visitor

Excellent thank you so much! That pulled in the data I needed and then I can use the pagination code to retrieve all of the rows since PowerBi stops at 100 in Power Query.