Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Authentication error when embedding report from a workspace / app other than my personal workspace

Hi,

I ran into a weird issue when embedding reports into my web application. When I embed a report from my own personal workspace, then everything works fine. The report gets rendered, I can edit it, save it, etc.

But when I attempt to embed a report from another workspace, than my personal one, then I get a PowerBINotAuthorizedException when the report loads:

detailedMessage:"GetReportFailed"

errorCode:"PowerBINotAuthorizedException"

But there is no more details in the exception. So I wonder what further permission is missing? The same thing works with my personal workspace. But with a workspace that I just created, it doesn't. I also created an app in Power BI Service and published it - thinking that only published content could be embedded. But that didn't help either.

Any idea would be welcome

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

If we want to embed a report from app workspace, we need to set the embed url as "https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId={Report ID goes here}&groupId={Group ID goes here}". Did you add the group id properly in the embed url?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-haibl-msft

Indeed, the groupId was missing in the embed URL. After defining it, the report got rendered correctly.

I was looking for defining the group ID via the IEmbedConfiguration interface when instantiating the embedded report from JavaScript. But that didn't have this property, hence it didn't occur to me that it will be necessary.

The JavaScript framework and the corresponding documentation need an update here in my opinion.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered