Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

August release: Refresh never completes

Model works and refreshes in July release. Tried in August release on two machines and refresh never completes. Model contains links to Sharepoint online and SFDC. Sharepoint data loads slowly and SFDC never completes. Model includes custom functions.

How can we debug the difference between August vs July of the exact same model?

Comments
rkymtn
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous your suggestion to dig up an older msi installer from the download folder did the trick, big thanks!

ddecock
Regular Visitor

@rkymtn by any chance you can share the gateway / gateway personal installer of a previous version. I'm dealing with the same issue here, and have to refresh quite some dashboards manually now every day...

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@xerxel @ddecock @rkymtn @jomj

For anyone who cannot get hold of it, I do have a copy of the July 2018 release of the Power BI Desktop installer. Obviously, it's pretty large (~190MB), but if you have a location where you can suggest I copy it for others to download, I'll happily do so.

ddecock
Regular Visitor

@AnonymousI already reverted to the June 2018 Update of Power BI Desktop. However this doesn't fix the Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com).

I still managed to refresh my Datasets with the PowerBI Desktop version (August 2018) locally, but refreshing it online is bugged. Reverting the gateway probably solves this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info @jomj. I think we need to be careful that we're not talking at cross purposes here. There are two completely independent (and, IMHO, unrelated) issues with Salesforce connectors at the moment.

1. The August 2018 Power BI Desktop release does not allow you to update any Salesforce Object datasets that have >2000 rows. The PBI Desktop simply hangs when this is attempted. I have raised this with MS Support and have an outstanding ticket. This ticket is open and I am waiting for a response.
  2. The current Power BI Service does not allow you to refresh any reports that use the Salesforce Report connector. This is an issue with that connector's OAuth2  settings. This is the issue that they refer to in the Awareness section of their Support status page. I think that this is the issue that they are 'aware of' and are investigating with an expected update at 12:00PM PDT. 

Depending on which aspect of the two Salesforce connectors you use in your reports will mean that you may not be suffering from both of the above issues.

ddecock
Regular Visitor

@jomjthank you for the heads up.

@AnonymousFully agree with you, I won't update unless tested on a different machine which isn't updating all the production datasets. It's quite a hassle to get everything updated now, when they release an update which limits users in their use of the datasources they connect to (in this case: Salesforce).  Hope Microsoft comes up with a solution as soon as possible, since the end-user is being limited in the use of its product, by this new release...

mikegunns
Helper I

Hi @Anonymous,

In regards to the issue you outlined as #2, our datasets use only the Salesforce Object connector -- no SFDC reports at all -- yet we face the same issue where every scheduled (or manual, for that matter) refresh fails in the service.