Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

August 2022 Update - large data model taking immense time to open

Problem began when testing the August update yesterday on a large data model.  WebView is now kicking off and running through CPU and RAM usage while loading.  Model would take only a few minutes to open previously and now took 39 minutes to open.  Once open the Apply Changes was shown and each time would click....updating metadata...success...but remain.  Trying to refresh the model would cause waiting for quieres...then a blink and close the refresh dialog box.  Going to try and go back to July version and see if this fixes the issue but please let me know if this is going to be an expected occurance going forward with updates.

Even attempted to open a PBIT of the model and the computer froze.  This is a system that can handle PBIX and PBIT files (256GB RAM, 4.4 CPU, terabytes of space, developer grade system.)  Thank you for the help Microsoft team.

Hi all,

Please try again to see if the issue has been fixed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
mike_honey
Memorable Member

August update is a dud - rollback to July build

oksana_k
Employee

Guys, could you please try newly released Aug 2022 QFE build (v. 2.108.825.0) and let us know if the issue is fixed?

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi all,

Please try again to see if the issue has been fixed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

mike_honey
Memorable Member

The QFE2 build did resolve this issue for me, but my file & VM spec seem trivial by comparison to the OP.

That QFE2 build did suddenly trigger the good old WebView2 bug, but once I turned off the Preview Power BI Desktop infrastructure feature, it has been mostly useable. It is throwing odd untrapped errors seemingly at random, but they haven't seemed catastrophic so far, so I'm trying to ignore them.

The quality of Power BI Desktop has really been poor lately. It's hard to maintain confidence in the product. It's really frustrating me as I work in it every day.  I also mentor multiple teams of Power BI authors - collectively we've wasted a lot of time this month on Power BI Desktop bugs.