Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

August 2022: Error: We couldn't get the data for this visual due to an authentication error

Connecting from Power BI Desktop to a model in my workspace. I go to DATAHUB > POWER BI DATSETS, choose my dataset, and get the error:

We couldn't get the data for this visual due to an authentication error. Please try again later.

Detail reveals the message: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.

Rolling back to July 2022 fixes this bug. Can you please fix it in August release?

Seems like could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test.

Whether you have used Live Connection mode or Direct Query mode to connect to Power BI datasets when facing with this issue.

In addition, if clear the credetials in data source settings and try to reconnect to the same datasets, whether it works.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Seems like could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test.

Whether you have used Live Connection mode or Direct Query mode to connect to Power BI datasets when facing with this issue.

In addition, if clear the credetials in data source settings and try to reconnect to the same datasets, whether it works.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

kenny21

Definitely can replicate. We got exactly the same error using Aug 2022 version. Rolling back to previous version fixes it.

It only happens with Live Connection. We are connecting to Azure Analysis Services database

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V

@v-yingjl This is still happening with release version 2.108.825.0 64-bit (August 2022)

Issue is with live connecting to Power BI dataset in the service. It also seems to occur for SSAS live connection, which is analagous.

Clearing credentials does not work.

Rolling back to July 2022 release still fixes the issue. This is a bug in the August 2022 release. It has trouble connecting to live connection SSAS/PBI models.

I also tried clearing the model, opening and saving it in August release, then redeploying it and refreshing it. Still cannot connect to the model with Power BI Desktop. I can connect to it fine with the "Create" button in Power BI service. Issue is clearly with PBI Desktop August 2022.

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2022-08-19T18:31:20.3041768Z

Local Time:
2022-08-19T14:31:20.3041768-04:00

Session ID:
2e44b273-6270-4856-a63b-4d4ca6d7247d

Release:
August 2022

Product Version:
2.108.825.0 (22.08) (x64)

Stack Trace:
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.ConceptualSchemaUtilities.GetDisplayFolders(IEnumerable`1 currentDisplayFolders, DisplayFolderAndTranslations parentDisplayFolderAndTranslations, Func`2 getTranslations)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.Table..ctor(IConceptualEntity entity, IDataModel model)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.TableConverter.Convert(IConceptualEntity entity)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.NamedObjectCollection`2.EnsureInitialized()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.NamedObjectCollection`2.System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.<OfTypeIterator>d__95`1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel.SetExtensions(IEnumerable`1 extensions)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel..ctor(IAnalysisServicesDatabaseLive database, String schemaId, IReadOnlyList`1 entities, Boolean discourageCompositeModels, IEnumerable`1 extensions)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel..ctor(IAnalysisServicesDatabaseLive database, IConceptualSchema schema, IEnumerable`1 extensions)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.<GetDataModelAsync>d__34.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExploreHost.Contracts.ExploreHostModelFactory.<CreateExploreHostModel>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExploreHost.Contracts.ExploreHostExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<<GetClientConceptualSchemaAsyncSafe>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.DesktopModelingHost.<>c__DisplayClass31_0.<ExecuteSynchronizedWithModelChanges>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask`2.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExploreHost.Contracts.ExploreHostExtensions.<GetClientConceptualSchemaAsyncSafe>d__0.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SemanticQueryHostService.<GetConceptualSchemaCore>d__15.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.ConceptualSchemaUtilities.GetDisplayFolders(IEnumerable`1 currentDisplayFolders, DisplayFolderAndTranslations parentDisplayFolderAndTranslations, Func`2 getTranslations)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.Table..ctor(IConceptualEntity entity, IDataModel model)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.TableConverter.Convert(IConceptualEntity entity)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.NamedObjectCollection`2.EnsureInitialized()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.NamedObjectCollection`2.System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.<OfTypeIterator>d__95`1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel.SetExtensions(IEnumerable`1 extensions)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel..ctor(IAnalysisServicesDatabaseLive database, String schemaId, IReadOnlyList`1 entities, Boolean discourageCompositeModels, IEnumerable`1 extensions)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel..ctor(IAnalysisServicesDatabaseLive database, IConceptualSchema schema, IEnumerable`1 extensions)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.<GetDataModelAsync>d__34.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExploreHost.Contracts.ExploreHostModelFactory.<CreateExploreHostModel>d__0.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExploreHost.Contracts.ExploreHostExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<<GetClientConceptualSchemaAsyncSafe>b__0>d.MoveNext()<---

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.22622.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 533320]

Peak Virtual Memory:
53.9 GB

Private Memory:
486 MB

Peak Working Set:
686 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
4860720a-6334-463b-ab3c-95c2c82e4a19

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Enabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: False.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

AS Live Connection:
True

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_enableWebView2
PQ_WebView2Connector
PBI_mobileAuthoringFormattingUI
PBI_sparklines
PBI_scorecardVisual
PBI_fieldParametersSuperSwitch

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V

@kenny21 @v-yingjl 

I found the source of the issue. I believe it is a bug with Power BI Desktop.

My model has a lot of measures that I put in folders. I also used an old modeling trick where you can add a shortcut to a measure in a virtual "favorites" folder. In the past this worked fine. In August 2022, it no longer works.

The method of creating the shortcut folder is to put a measure in folder called, for example,  "_Measures;*Favorites"

Separating with a semicolon and adding star to the folder name creates a separate virtual folder called "*Favorites" containing virtual copies (i.e shortcuts) of the measures specified. Only the August 2022 update doesn't see them that way. Instead, it throws that "same key already added" message.

This is a very obscure modelling feature. But its broken. Or maybe just deprecated.

karlk
Advocate I

Hi,

I have the same issue as described here in Power BI Desktop August 2022 version (2.108.603.0).  I cannot open a report that either:

1. Live connects to my Azure Analysis Services model
  2. Live connects to a dataset in the Power BI services that itself live connects to my Azure Analysis Services model

The error I most commonly receive is "An item with the same key has already been added." but if I clear out my cache and connections I get "We couldn't get the data for this visual due to an authentication error. Please try again later." before reverting back to the first error.

The Analysis Services model does have a lot of folders but none with special characters.

UPDATE: Updating to the latest August 2022 (997.0) release resolved the issues.

Thanks

Karl