Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

August 2020 version of PBI Desktop corrupts any PBIX report file that is saved

The August 2020 version of PBI Desktop 2.84.461.0 64-bit (August 2020), corrupts any PBIX that is saved using this version.  Once a PBIX is saved, it cannot be opened by this version or any previous version of the PBI Desktop.  It says the PBIX is corrupt.  Even when I had published to the Service using the August version, where the report is working fine; if I then download the report on the Service to a PBIX, that PBIX will not be able to be opened by any version of the PBI Desktop always indicating the report is corrupt.

I had to re-install the July version of the PBI Desktop to avoid this issue.

Comments
gjross78
Frequent Visitor
ansa_naz
Continued Contributor

I already tried there, and got August 2020 again, even though I followed links to download Jul/Jun 2020 versions. They all go to the same Aug 2020 file page

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor

All the links from there end up here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

Unless you can get somewhere else?

gjross78
Frequent Visitor

As per below. It shows me the .exe file

powerbi_download.png

The link is here for June

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor

Im blind!! I kept clicking on the Download Center link! Thank you!!!!!!!

KEITHO
Frequent Visitor

For me the issue seems to be solved. Downloading the July version of PBI desktop didnt solve it (or at least not alone). I had to go into the data source settings for global sources when i open PowerBI, and change them all back to my windows user logon. Now seems fine...

Anonymous
Not applicable

My issue has been solved with the new version that out now (2.84.701.0) and all files are opening correctly now

KEITHO
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that message @Anonymous . I have also checked with the August version 2.84.701.0. fixed now for me also.

Also an issue I had with a mixed storage mode model using direct query, created by another user and re-saved by me, seems to be fixed too. More detailed testing will be done on Monday

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Storage-mode-mixed-Direct-Query-issue-with-multiple-users/idi-p/1290760

Majidbhatti
Advocate IV

same issue with me

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here.