Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

August 2018 Power BI Desktop update no longer works with Salesforce Objects connector

Hi guys,

We have an easy-to-reproduce issue that is critical to all users who have the Salesforce Objects connector in any of their queries.

The August 2018 version of Power BI Desktop (2.61.5192.601) does not allow the framework to refresh any queries that use the Salesforce Objects connector. [The Salesforce Reports connector is unaffected.]

To demonstrate this, simply add the following text into Power Query using the Advanced Editor.

let
    Source = Salesforce.Data(),
    SFDCObject = Source{[Name="Campaign"]}[Data], // Change this table name to be any SFDC table with >2000 records in it
    Custom1 = Table.Range(SFDCObject, 2001, 1)
in
    Custom1

The code is trying to return the 2001st record from any Salesforce Objects data set (assuming that it initially has >2000 rows!). Symptoms: The framework can happily extract the first 2000 rows without issue, but any subsequent rows fail to return and the Refresh data screen never completes. The only option is to cancel the dialog, and that often results in a hang.

As a result, we cannot refresh any Salesforce Object datasets within Power BI Desktop (Aug 2018 version). The functionality works fine with ALL previous versions of Power BI Desktop.

This is preventing us from being able to use the latest version of the software. please can you address this ASAP?

Many thanks,

Geoff Richardson

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

How about if you change 2001 to a smaller value, eg:100? 

Custom1 = Table.Range(SFDCObject, 100, 1)

I don't have a big table in Salesforce. Is it possible share your pbix file and credential with us? If it is, please send them to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Unfortunately, I can't get you access to our Salesforce instance because it is hardened with SSO and MFA.

However, when I googled this, you should be able to set up a Salesforce Developer account which comes pre-loaded with dummy data. You can also use the Data Loader to add more data into it. With most SFDC instances, there should be some tables that have >2000 rows... Perhaps try one of the History tables or the Record Type table?

As I mentioned before, the issue does not happen with fewer than 2000 records. By using Fiddler, I think that I can explain why: I believe that when the initial request to SFDC through the Objects connector is refreshed (rather than previewed), the first call [after the authentication] will retrieve a maximum of 2000 records. The mashup engine then requests the next 2000 rows of data from Salesforce, and that should be appended to the previous output. This loop continues until there is no more data to receive.

It seems that the new issue in the Aug 2018 release is that the second request block never returns from its Salesforce request. I cannot tell you why that would be, but that behavior is different from earlier releases.

ddecock
Regular Visitor

Anyone got an update on the situation?

It disappeared from the support page, but it appears not to be fixed on my end... https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Last thing I saw was:

"Users of Salesforce reports may experience issues with refreshing reports. Engineers are working to deploy a fix. We are expecting the deployment to complete by end-of-week. Next update @ 8/31/18 at 15:00 PDT "

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

It's hard to provide further support on forum side. I would suggest you create a Support Ticket to Microsoft and let engineers look into your real environment. 

Support Ticket.gif

@ddecock The issue listed in Support page before only happens in Power BI service rather than Power BI desktop. I received email that the issue was fixed on 9/1/2018. Please test again to update credentials for Salesforce Reports on Power BI service. 

If issue persists, I would suggest you post a new thread as this thread is talking about the Salesforce objects issue in Power BI desktop. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

jagostinhoCT
Post Partisan

This same issue is happening to my data and I am not using Salesforce.

All data in the datasource after 31st of August does not show on my PBI Desktop and PBI service.

Is this similar to what you are, or are not, getting @Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jagostinhoCT - your issue does not sound to be the same as the one I was experiencing. My issue was ver specific to the Salesforce Objects connector, and a Fiddler trace showed that it was being caused by the PBI Desktop framework not being able to react to a 400 error message from Salesforce because the call to retrieve more than 2000 rows in one go results in an error - the data has to be chunked into blocks of 2000 rows (max).
The great news is that the latest Sept 2018 release of PBI Desktop seems to have solved this issue, as the simple test that I listed in the original post using M code now refreshes correctly in PBI Desktop.
The outward communication about this issue from Support may not have been very good, but it appears that their rolling development process has corrected the problem anyway! Thank you PBI Desktop Engineering team!

jagostinhoCT
Post Partisan

You are correct @Anonymous. It seemed to me that it was that it is not. Your post was the one more similar showing on a google search.

My issue seems to be connected with the Date field that is reading from the SP folder. I have updated it on this link.

Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards,

J