Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ArcGIS on PowerBI is crashing VMware after clicking "Learn More"

One of our employee's is trying to use ArcGIS Maps on PowerBI Desktop on a Virtual Machine. They have a Mac and use the VM as they cannot use the Desktop app on a Mac. Whenever they add it and press on "Learn More", it immediantly crashes the entire VM. It's strange that trying to open a web link is knocking the entire VM offline. I've attempted to recreate this on seperate VM's and have been successful at doing so, even with different versions on seperate machines. However, PowerBI Desktop works fine on a standalone Windows machine. Any idea why it's doing this? It's MISSION CRITICAL I find a solution to this, or at the very least a workaround.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Check the default web browser and create a support ticket if necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This stopped it from crashing. However a new issue has come up. ArcGIS does not want to link between accounts to Power BI. For this employee, one of their old reports linked to ArcGIS Maps will load and allow them to generate it on the report. However for any NEW report, when inserting ArcGIS Maps, it will just say "Learn More". Esri told me to sign-in to their website and it might link but it doesn't. She has Power BI Pro just like all of our employees. Normally it prompts you to sign-in when inserting the ArcGIS Map, not "Learn More".

Orlandowave
Regular Visitor

I can't get by the "read more" It keeps crashes the entire VMware. I have tried on a blank new report and still crashes the entire VMware. Any workarounds? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Orlandowave,

I do not believe there is a workaround. I've tried over and over again to get it to link together without crashing. I've spoken to my fellow Sys Admin and even he was not sure. Not sure if this impacts the functionality, but I believe the employee said that the Pro version has some extra features. Have you tried pulling the criteria over from the far left box and placing them in the data fields? Or is this not sufficent for the work you are trying to accomplish?

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 2.42.25 PM.png

Orlandowave
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous  I can't get passed set up of ArcGIS.  Vmware cashes before I even click "read more". It does the same on both desktop Power Bi and the Web interface Power BI running on VMware. If I open Web interface on the Mac side it does not crash just on the VMware side it crashes. I am new to Power Bi, so I just learning what I can do with it. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.55.00 AM.png