Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Analize in Excel Internal Error

I'm getting this error
Internal error: An unexpected error occurred (file ' pfadalwrapper.cpp, line 986, function 'PFAdalWrapper::GetInstance').
Excel is 2016 64bit with MDOLAB.5
Every step from Troubleshoot connecting Excel to Power BI data has been tried

SimonNoer_0-1642759972801.png

Hi @SimonNoer 

May I know whether you have installed Analyze in Excel updates and open the workbook that generated by Power BI with it? There are some requirements and limitations on using Analyze in Excel, please check whether there is any item causing this issue firstly.

• Analyzing Power BI data in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later.
  • Excel PivotTables don't support drag-and-drop aggregation of numeric fields. Your dataset in Power BI must have pre-defined measures.
  • Analyzing Power BI data in Excel requires that the dataset be in a Power BI Premium workspace or that you have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license.
  • You can connect to Power BI datasets in Excel if you have permission for the underlying dataset. You could have this permission in a few ways. You could have the Member role in the workspace containing the dataset, or have Build permission for a dataset in a workspace, or in an app that contains the dataset.
  • You can only analyze Power BI data in Excel on computers running Microsoft Windows.
  • Only Power BI datasets that use Import mode will preserve hierarchies in Analyze in Excel workbooks. Power BI datasets built on DirectQuery or composite models will not have their hierarchies retained when using Analyze in Excel.
  • You may see an error message if the data is larger than 2 GB. In that case, either reduce the amount of data, for example by applying filters, or use the XMLA endpoint. Learn more about the XMLA endpoint.
  • Guest users can't analyze Power BI data in Excel for datasets sent from (originating from) another tenant.
  • Analyzing Power BI data in Excel is a Power BI service feature. You can't analyze Power BI data in Excel from Power BI Report Server or Power BI Embedded

For more details, please refer to Connect Excel to Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Start in Power BI with Analyze in Excel - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
SimonNoer
Regular Visitor
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @SimonNoer 

May I know whether you have installed Analyze in Excel updates and open the workbook that generated by Power BI with it? There are some requirements and limitations on using Analyze in Excel, please check whether there is any item causing this issue firstly.

• Analyzing Power BI data in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later.
  • Excel PivotTables don't support drag-and-drop aggregation of numeric fields. Your dataset in Power BI must have pre-defined measures.
  • Analyzing Power BI data in Excel requires that the dataset be in a Power BI Premium workspace or that you have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license.
  • You can connect to Power BI datasets in Excel if you have permission for the underlying dataset. You could have this permission in a few ways. You could have the Member role in the workspace containing the dataset, or have Build permission for a dataset in a workspace, or in an app that contains the dataset.
  • You can only analyze Power BI data in Excel on computers running Microsoft Windows.
  • Only Power BI datasets that use Import mode will preserve hierarchies in Analyze in Excel workbooks. Power BI datasets built on DirectQuery or composite models will not have their hierarchies retained when using Analyze in Excel.
  • You may see an error message if the data is larger than 2 GB. In that case, either reduce the amount of data, for example by applying filters, or use the XMLA endpoint. Learn more about the XMLA endpoint.
  • Guest users can't analyze Power BI data in Excel for datasets sent from (originating from) another tenant.
  • Analyzing Power BI data in Excel is a Power BI service feature. You can't analyze Power BI data in Excel from Power BI Report Server or Power BI Embedded

For more details, please refer to Connect Excel to Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Start in Power BI with Analyze in Excel - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

SimonNoer
Regular Visitor

@v-cazheng-msft 

Everything has been updated. We have tried on several computers and all work but one. it returns this error.
We are stationed in Denmark but have a partner in Vietnam that needs access. and it fails on their pcs..

worldundermine
Advocate I

Everything has been updated on my end too. It's been working fine on all my models for some time, then this month all I receive is this error, regardless of whihc dataset I choose that previously used to work.

gschwenker

Good Day, 

I am also having this same issue with end users.  From my testing it is looking like the Windows Azure Authentication window that is to pop up for the person to log into doesn't seem to be popping up and is just going to the error.  

gschwenker

Did some testing and it is an issue with version 16 of Analyze in Excel.  Uninstalled version 16 and put version 15 in and it now works.

rsharma1
Regular Visitor

Is there a solution for this issue? I'm getting the same error after updating to version 16. @gschwenker, can you share a link to version 15?

jdm0068
Regular Visitor

I have 2 of my users with the same problem. Just started when they recieved new PC's

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi All,

If you have troubleshoot with the official document and still have problems on this issue. Please consider creating a support ticket in Power BI Support if you are a Pro user. Then, a Microsoft technical engineer will have a remote session with you to troubleshoot on this issue. It couldn’t be better if you post the root cause and solution here to help others who may encounter similar issue once you get them from the engineer. Thanks in advance!

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with the same problem with more than one user.
The only "solution" was installing the old version of Ole db provider.

Does anyone know how to correct this error?