Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

An update this morning caused modifications loss

Hi,

I was forced into an update of Power BI Desktop this morning and for a brief moment I saw a window asking if I wanted to save my changes.  And before I could realize what was going on, Power BI Desktop closed without saving my changes and only then I could see an update being applied on the app icon in Windows home screen.

I had to reopen the pbix I was working on to notice some changes weren't there.

I did do much but It would have been catastrophic if that update was to be pushed last week, while I was making major changes to huge models that were taking forever to make because of complexity.

Please make sure to get user confirmation before closing the app to apply updates in the future?  Maybe it's a Windows Update thing or Microsoft Store.  But either way, please make sure the users know an update is coming and make sure they have time to save changes before closing the app on them!

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@FireFighter1017 

You may try Download Power BI Desktop directly and share feedback via Ideas to help improve Power BI.

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

How is that supposed to help?  I did not ask for an update, it applied itself in the background and rebooted my computer without allow me enough time to save my pbix.

Why would I submit an Idea?  This is clearly an issue.  Or I misunderstood the purpose of this forum

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

@FireFighter1017 

It's hard to reproduce the issue. When installing as an app from the Microsoft Store, windows downloads the latest version automatically in the background as soon as it's available.

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

@v-chuncz-msft ,

I think it is an isolated event and it's possibly related to the way Microsoft Store applies updates.

My other computer never got the November update pushed, so I applied it manually through Microsoft store to avoid any other issues while I'm working.

I will look into my event viewer to see if I can come up with some hints on how it happened

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support