Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

An error was encountered in the transport layer

Hi,

I am using Power BI desktop and in the last few days I have been unable to refresh any of my visualisations. In every file I have and when I try to create new reports, I have the same error. Headed "Cant load the data for this visual", the error reads "An error was encountered in the transport layer".

I have tried re-installing the software. I am able to refresh the data sets and previews without issue. All data sets suffer the same issue, whether local or from a cloud service. There are no obvious errors in either the queries or the relationships. Everything appears to work fine up until the point of visualisation refresh. Only the image tile is displaying as it should.

I have no idea where the transport layer is or how I can bug fix there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it has halted my progress.

Thanks

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

What is your data source here? Do you mean that you can see and refresh the data in Query Editor properly, but cannot refresh the visuals with the error message?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Herbet,

Thanks for taking a look at this.

The data source is every data source, whether that be a network drive, a cloud drive or even my desktop.

The refresh runs as expected, I can see the data update without error and then at the last minute when you're expecting the visuals to update, they all go into error with the error message in my original post.

This fixed itself breifly on Wednesday night and then was back again on Thursday.

I am not doing anything different than I usually do, so I'm a bit stuck as to why its happening.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Not sure if you’re using the latest Jan 2017 version of Power BI Desktop. Please try to update if it is not the newest one.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page) since it seems to be machine specific.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the latest version of desktop and gateway. Everything works as you'd expect on refresh and then every visual displays the error message about the transport layer.

The support is only available to Pro Subscribers, so that option is out.

Looks like I'm stuck...

catoriana
Regular Visitor

Having same issue with the above user -> using Power BI Desktop version 20th January 2017. After refreshing the data my tile are showing an error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm mine is still on-going with no solution.

Now waiting for an update on the off chance that works.

Also noticed when publishing to the PBI server that sometimes it hangs on trying to authenticate the user, the only way out is to crash PBI.

Also, by uploading to the server (if it works!) you can see the visualisations there but obviouly not as intuitive to use and much slower.

For the record, I tried everything, re-install, update, updating gateway, re-installing gateway... new files, old files... source data in cloud, source data on desktop.

As soon as I get to work, everything works fine. Only when I'm working remotely.

Maybe something to do with the O365 license/Subscription?

mragbi

Exact same probleme, When i create the data source it all goes fine, i have the preview of my data , the right fields and all but when i want to create visuals, I get the "Transport layer" error.

It works only when i use Connect Live for SQL Server Analysis database, and doesn't work for CSV, SQL server Database, even creating localy a sample Data.

I use the last update ( January 2017). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Latest update hasnt changed anything for me.

Still at a loss as to why I have this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found a workaround... I turn off my internet when booting my machine. Then I open an existing Power BI Desktop file, then I connect to the internet. Refresh seems to function normally.