Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

American date in PBI service with scheduled update from Excel in SharePoint document library

I have done some detailed testing and believe that I may have found a bug.

If I create a simple Excel file with a UK date format on my OneDrive for Business, I can create a dashboard in PBI desktop, publish it and set an automated schedule to update the file with no issues and all the dates appear in UK format - so I believe that I have all my regional settings correct.

However, if I copy the Excel file to a SharePoint 365 Document Library and change the source of the dashboard that I created above so that it points at the SharePoint Document Library instead of the OneDrive for Business Excel file, the dates all appear in UK format. I can then publish the dashboard and everything is perfect in UK format.

However, if I then set up a schedule of updates for several times during the day, once the scheduled update of the PBI Service updates the dashboard, the dates turn American - surely this is a bug?

Steve

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous ,

Do you put date field in visuals and check date format in visuals? What is the result when you manually refresh the dataset in Power BI Service? How do you set language in Power BI Service and how do you set browser language?

You can check my reply in the similar thread below about date format in Power BI Service.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Date-issue-dd-mm-yyyy-vs-mm-dd-yyyy/td-p/560290

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help thus far. Sorry that I haven't followed your instructions but I have run another test. I published the report from PBI desktop - the Time Brush visual and the date slicer showed as follows (perfectly correctly):

Dashboard time brush after initial loadDashboard time brush after initial load

On the dashboard, I then did a 'Refresh dashboard tiles' and nothing changed. I also tried the 'Refresh now' option on the Dataset section of the PBI service and it had no impact.

I then set up a scheduled update and after the update ran, the dashboard changed to:

Time brush and date slicer after scheduled updateTime brush and date slicer after scheduled update

After that, I changed the source to the OneDrive for Business version of the file in my PBI dashboard and re-published the dashboard and it reverted to the correct UK format dates. So I am confident that it is the scheduled update of the dataset when it is stored in a SharePoint Document Library that is causing the issue.

Steve