Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Aggregation options missing from field well columns

We use SSAS tabular models via a live connection to access our data.

A user has recently noticed that the option to do a simple aggregate (i.e. count) from the field well is not present in some of our models. I've compared the models where it is and isn't present and in both cases the field is a text format with "default summarization" set.

The only difference between the models is the compatibility Level which is 1400 for the model which works and 1500 for all other models. I cant find any reference to this sort of issue anywhere else.

Below are screenshots of the options I see in the 2 models from Desktop.

issue.PNG

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

This should be an issue on ssas side. There should be some difference between 1400 and 1500, please refer to doc below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/compatibility-level-for-tabular-models-in-analysis-services?view=asallproducts-allversions

Regards,

JImmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem. Today I have seen that a PBIX does not see the options, but in a previous version of the same file from a week ago, the aggregation options are seen.

f1g1f1g1
Regular Visitor

Hi, we have a similar problem, any suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have tried to create the group calculation in the Tabular Editor, this function has been disabled.

marcstoffels
Helper I

I have the same issue, no aggregation options in Power BI Desktop for columns, when connecting to our tabular cube in Azure, using model 1500 (we migrated our tabular model from 1400 to 1500).
The 1400 model still shows the aggregation options in Power BI Desktop (October 2020 version).
Are we with the 1500 version obligated to create measures (on each column) in our model for aggregation purposes, indeed due to calculation groups?

marcstoffels
Helper I

I have found the answer here:
https://github.com/otykier/TabularEditor/issues/636

marcosqlbi commented Oct 3, 2020
This is by design: calculation groups automatically disable implicit measures.
However, using explicit measures is a best practice when you create a model you share with other users.
Documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/calculation-groups?view=asallprodu...

This documentation:
Calculation groups work with explicit DAX measures. In this example, Sales is an explicit measure already created in the model. Calculation groups do not work with implicit DAX measures. For example, in Power BI implicit measures are created when a user drags columns onto visuals to view aggregated values, without creating an explicit measure. At this time, Power BI generates DAX for implicit measures written as inline DAX calculations - meaning implicit measures cannot work with calculation groups. A new model property visible in the Tabular Object Model (TOM) has been introduced, DiscourageImplicitMeasures. Currently, in order to create calculation groups this property must be set to true. When set to true, Power BI Desktop in Live Connect mode disables creation of implicit measures.

You can change this property to "false", but then the calculation groups functionality will not work:

"discourageImplicitMeasures": true,

So, this means indeed that we should create measures for each column to be aggregated.