Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Add support for incremental refresh for SAP BW connector

With the SAP BW connector, you currently need to refresh the full dataset from SAP BW using 'import' mode. We would like to use incremental refresh, to speed up loading times and reduce the memory load for SAP BW.

Currently SAP BW is not supported for incremental refresh, only the following are supported as we heard from the Microsoft support team:

SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, SQL Data Warehouse, Oracle, and Teradata data sources only

Would be great if SAP BW Application Server could also be supported.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

From this article, it mentioned: 

"Currently, for composite models, incremental refresh is supported for SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, SQL Data Warehouse, Oracle, and Teradata data sources only."

It looks like if you don't use composite model, incremental refresh should be available for SAP BW data source. As I don't have SAP BW server to test it, I would suggest you connect to SAP BW in Import mode in Power BI desktop to check if you can configure incremental refresh follow this document

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

Thank you for the help. This is indeed the solution. Also it helped to understand query folding in Power Query to be able to select the ranges.

https://visualbi.com/blogs/microsoft/powerbi/tips-best-practices-using-sap-bw-sap-hana-connectors-po...

Thank you.

Pierrick78
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately I don't think Incremental Refresh is possible when connecting to SAP BW connector (on the other hand it's enabled when accessing SAP HAna database level).

Correct me if I am wrong !

Regards

Pierrick