Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Accessibility - Screen Reader - Row and Column Headings

When using a screen reader (NVDA) to interact with a table in a public Power BI dashboard the screen reader is numbering the columns incorrectly. 

There are 3 columns in the table. The screen reader reads the first column as column 2, the second column as column 3, and the third column as column 4. 

A video of this issue has been uploaded to YouTube and can be viewed below:

Hi @jamie5,

You may refer to this official document: Creating accessible reports in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs to help you improve the screen reader experience.

Generally, turning on scan mode or browse mode off is recommended when using screen reader. In addition, you could switch to show data table, then you will get a screen reader friendly table.

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @jamie5,

You may refer to this official document: Creating accessible reports in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs to help you improve the screen reader experience.

Generally, turning on scan mode or browse mode off is recommended when using screen reader. In addition, you could switch to show data table, then you will get a screen reader friendly table.

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

jamie5
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @v-cazheng-msft!

While this is being investigated I have added alt text to refer users to switch to the show data table for a correct screen reading. 

Shawn_Eary
Advocate IV

Is it possible that the slash in Race/Ethnicity is confusing the screen reader or Power BI?

What happens if the slash is changed to "and" such as "Race and Ethnicity".

Race and Ethnicity No SlashCountPercent
American Indian or Alaskan Native340.20%
Asian9445.65%
Black or African American1,82010.89%

Alternatively, is it possible to make Race and Ethnicity separate columns since they might be two different things?

NOTE: There seems to be a bug in this site and https://community.powerbi.com whereby it is impossible to format tables correctly. Any such attempts through the provided UI often result in "invalid HTML" errors. I normally use FireFox on GNU\Linux, but I believe I have tried other browsers. I think this website has a bug.