Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Access to the path User.zip' is denied

Hi,

Yet again, I was using Power BI Desktop fine, closed the application, then remembered I needed to make one more amendment and now I cannot open Power BI Desktop. I receive the below message...

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Access to the path 'C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip' is denied.

Stack Trace:
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.<LoadCachedStorage>b__8()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.EnsureFolderCreated(Action action)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.LoadCachedStorage()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.Access()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PreviewFeatureSwitch.LoadEnabled()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.FeatureSwitch..ctor(Guid id, Boolean defaultValue, Boolean changeRequiresRestart)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterPreviewFeatureSwitches()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterKnownSwitches()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass10.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Access to the path 'C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip' is denied.

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

I've tried renaming the temp file, but that didn't work. Reinstalling the Desktop version doesn't resolve it.

Any help appreciated, as now I cannot access it.

Thanks,

Rich

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @RichJW,

1. Please check if your windows account log on the computer has full control with the temp.User.zip and user.zip. 

a1.PNG

2. Run Power BI desktop as administrator. 

3. Please check if there is a virus protection software installed on the same machine. If it does, could you try instructing the virus protection software on that computer to ignore the "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop" directory?  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I faced the same where I could not open the file and I kept getting error message about User.zip file access. and here is how I solved it: There is another file named Temp.User.Zip  and I just renamed this file to whatever e.g. Temp2222.User.Zip 

and it worked 

Hope it works for you too

RichJW
Helper III

Thanks @Anonymous ,

I never did get the issue resolved, however fortunately my laptop was due for an upgrade, which resolved my issue.

Cheers,

Rich

Anonymous
Not applicable

For me renaming the Temp.User.Zip has worked, thanks!