Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AZ Sorting broken

Hi, since the April 2018 release, it is not possible to sort A-Z on a chart axis, only Z-A.  When clicking A-Z on the dropdown elipses, nothing happens.  It is possible to sort by a measure but not A-Z with a text value or numeric value on the axis.

Simon

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @SPMoore,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. Please update the Power BI desktop to the latest version then test again. 

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

SPMoore
Advocate I

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Strange, I am running the same version on Win 10.  Have you tried sorting by the measure and then trying to sort it again by A-Z?  I am still having problems, I'll check with some colleagues and see if they have the same issue.

Simon 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @SPMoore,

I tested again without reproducing the issue. Please clear data cache then test again. 

q7.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

saviourofdp
Frequent Visitor

I think i have the same issue

VersionVersion

I did this by entering some basic data

Enter simple dataEnter simple data

Create a column chart and if i use Sort by Category in the menu, the chart axis sorts Z-A

Sort by Category goes z-aSort by Category goes z-a

If I click Sort by Category again, it reverts to Sort by Value

Sort by category again, sorts by valueSort by category again, sorts by value

Click sort by category again and it does the same again - sorts by category Z-ASort by category again, sorts z-aSort by category again, sorts z-a

saviourofdp
Frequent Visitor

I should add that you can get to an A-Z ordered axis in my example eventually by continually clicking Sort by Category in the menu until it happens but there doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason to it

ross27
Advocate II

I have this issue as well - even when creating a pbix from scratch.

TomMartens
Super User

Hmm, something really changed.

By default the axis is ordered by the value

It's still possible to order by the axis category.

1. Open the context menu of the chart
  2. Hit order by category (Click on the text)
    The axis will be ordered by the categories from Z (left)--> A (right)
  3. Hit the small "Z->A" text/symbol left from the text "Sort by ..." and not the text again, this somehow toggles between sort by value and sort by category

Hope this helps

Tom

ross27
Advocate II

Excellent spot, thanks @TomMartens.  That works for me as the dashboard developer, but it will still be an issue for end users.  (Assuming the issue is the same on the service, not sure I've tested this)

TomMartens
Super User

Luckily we have a yammer group for all the Power BI users at my current client and also a dedicated support team for Power BI. I posted something about this "changing behavior" and also updated the support team, Until now we had just one support case that could be closed very fast, now we are waiting for the May magic 🙂