Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AWS hosted Postgres -- Connectivity Issues

Having trouble with intermitten connectivity to a postgres instance hosted by AWS.  It is similar to the outage experienced last week that was temporarily resolved. Can connect occasionally but not consistently.  Causing a huge pain for my organization.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jc03701,

Does the issue happen in Power BI desktop or service? Is there any error throws out? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

MikeHawryluk
Helper I

I have the same issue with Postgres except it is not hosted on AWS.  The dataset refreshes perfectly every time in Desktop. 

Key findings:

In the service it refreshes correctly approximately 50% of the time. 

It doesn't seem to matter whether the refresh is manual or scheduled.

Only one table is affected which is limited to 1000 rows retrieved rather than the full dataset.  The rest of the tables come through complete.

MikeHawryluk
Helper I

One other note, in the advisory that is now shown as complete, there was mention of merge and append.  The table in my case that is having issues has a merge step.

jc03701
Regular Visitor

It happens on the desktop.  When I push out to the service, it isn't effected. 

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV

Having the opposite issue as @jc03701... downloaded August 2018 desktop update yesterday and data load now works as it should using the app, however after (re)publishing, my reports are still showing incomplete data on service.

As @MikeHawryluk mentioned, there was a "incomplete data load" health advisory last week (since "resolved") related to merge/append query steps. Coincidentally, all my issues pertained to pbix files which contain merges/appends.

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV

FYI, after installing August desktop app AND August on-premises gateway, no more issues.

jc03701
Regular Visitor

Updating both app and gateway now.  Will share my experience once I run through my files.

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV

Not sure if it matters, but my data source is SQL server 2012... good luck.

jc03701
Regular Visitor

All intial performance test on the desktop app have been successful.  Haven't pushed out to service yet and tested.  Stay tuned.