Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

APP Url is not diplaying app if user is not logged in

Hello,

We have published a dashboard as App and added a link of the app url in one of our portal in SharePoint online. When user clicks the URL it redirects user to app on powerbi. This works fine if user is already logged in to the app.powerbi.com. However, if user is not logged in, after taking credentails and successful login, user is redirected to workspaces's home page and not app directly. This seems to be a bug in redirection after login. Can someone suggest a fix for this?

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @rtyagi1,

1. Do you mean you published an App?

2. I can't reproduce this issue. Which URL did you use exactly? I used the URL of the App directly. The URLs like this:

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/97ac************************0f5e3d9/contentlist  and

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/97a******0f5e3d9/contentlist?onlySharedWithMe=false

They both work fine.

Best Regards!

Dale

rtyagi1

@v-jiascu-msft Thank you for the response. Yes, I have publieshed the app with permissions to "Entire Organization". the URL of the same is like

https://app.powerbi.com/Redirect?action=OpenApp&appId=xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxx-xxxx&ctid=xxxxx-xxxxxx-x-xxxx...

When a user is logged in he/she sees the dashboard published through this app. However, if not logged in and goes through the login process sees the interface (see below) which lists the published apps.

apps.png

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Rahul 

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi Rahul,

1. How did you get this link?

2. The App workspace and the shared App are two different places with two different URLs. If one isn't a member of that App, he only see the list of the App.

3. What do you expect? If one user isn't the member of the App, what should he/she see?APP Url is not diplaying app if user is not logged in.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

rtyagi1

This link is provided by powerbi when you publish the app. Also, I found another behavior here, if i am choosing dashboard as the content to display in app, browser is not redirecting correctly. However, when I am choosing any "report" as content to display, browser is showing the report even after redirection from login). If you want to replicate this, follow these steps:

1. Create/update app and for "Content" tab choose specific content to display under "App landing page" section. In the drop drown choose "dashboard".

2. Click update/publish app.

3. Copy the URL given by the PowerBI during publishing the app for sharing with users.

3. Logout from app.PowerBI 

4. paste the URL in your browser window, it will go through the login process and will redirect you to the screen that i sent you earlier.

The other behavaior:

in the first step instead of choosing "dashboard", choose any of the report page and publish/update the app and following the remaining steps. After login it will show the report directly and not the listing page.

In my case, I have to show "Dashboard" as the landing page so it is failing for me for users who are not logged in. 

Thank you,

Rahul Tyagi