Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

403 forbidden when REST api call

I am calling "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{0}/reports/{1}/ExportTo" Api in my mvc application.

HttpWebRequest request = System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CreateHttp(string.Format("https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{0}/reports/{1}/ExportTo", workspaceId,reportId1));
request.KeepAlive = true;
request.Method = "POST";
request.ContentType = "application/json";

request.Headers.Add("Authorization", String.Format("Bearer {0}", token));

using (var streamWriter = new StreamWriter(request.GetRequestStream()))
{
string json = "{\"format\":\"PDF\"}";

streamWriter.Write(json);
}

var response = (HttpWebResponse)request.GetResponse();

Here i was getting access token like this,

string result = authContext.AcquireTokenAsync(resourceUriPowerBi, clientCredential).Result.AccessTok...

after this I got the error

{"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"Export report requires effective identity to be provided for the report's dataset"}}

then I write a code to get embed token by passing access level and identities i used at power bi Desktop to use RLS

string embedToken =
(await pbiClient.Reports.GenerateTokenInGroupAsync(workspaceId,
report.Id,
generateTokenRequestParameters)).Token;

Now I got the 403 forbidden error with no text.

Can anyone please help me to understand this why it is giving 403 error.

earlier i successfully called the refresh dataset api using access token got using client credential...

Tahnks in advance.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please try the API with your account via Try it to see if the same issue occurs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/exporttofileingroup

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Same response using Try it, Postman

Now, for reports which do not have row level security applied I am successfully able to get PDF by next api 

Get File Of Export To File In Group. 

But when I input reports to which Row level security applied from Power bi desktop giving this error

{"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"Export report requires effective identity to be provided for the report's dataset"}}

Here I thought I should use embed token with roles and identities, so I passed the embed token in Authorization header. But for this now I am getting 403 error.

I can't reach to conclusion whether I stick with access token or I should use embed token both are giving two different errors.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Armand_Theron
Frequent Visitor

I would like to know if you got this resolved ?

As I'm sitting with a simillar issue....

talderman
Frequent Visitor

Like @Armand_Theron,  I would also like to know this was resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Did you ever solve this?  We're having the exact same issue.

ageet

Hi @Anonymous  Did you get the solution? we have same issue