Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

401 response when trying to log in

I am getting a 401 response when hitting the Power BI login page!

https://app.powerbi.com/?noSignUpCheck=1

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@jstearnes,

What web browser do you use? I would recommend you clear cache and password history of your web browser, then sign in https://app.powerbi.com/.

Also you can use private window of your web browser, then sign in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Patryn999
Frequent Visitor

We're seeing this with 2/10 computers so far after kicking off a power BI project.

It is something to do with the cache as Power BI embedded fails to load (401 on reportEmbed.js).

Using Chrome to access power BI login page we get an instant 401 from the brower, while loading the same page in Private mode will work fine.

Additional notes:

This seems to only be happening to people who have a Power BI account, but we can't log out as the browser can't load the page to log out.

ebrooks11
Regular Visitor

We are experiencing this issue as well.

Our embedded reports fail to render with a 401 on the app.powerbi.com/embedReport call, and app.powerbi.com returns a 401.

This issue is customer facing for us, so clearing the cache or advising them to use a different browser is insufficient.

Any help from the powerbi team would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BlackMael

The trick is actually getting to the cookies that got themselves into a mess that prevented logging in.

I'd normally have the devtools panel up and you just couldn't see the cookies or anything there where you'd expect them.

But if you click on the little SSL lock/Info button...

image.png

(In this case I've already resolved the problem but what it did show was 10 cookies associated with the failed app.powerbi.com site)

You can then click the Cookies item and it takes you to the Chrome settings page for app.powerbi.com
image.png

And from there you can actually clear the broken cookies and refresh the page (app.powerbi.com) to log in once again!