Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tgs

stream analytics as streaming dataset source

I've seen multiple examples in the internet where the new streaming dataset is used. All the examples have three options for the data source (see picture):

• API
  • Stream Analytics
  • PUBNUB

Unfortunately my PowerBI provides only "API" and "PUBNUB". What can I do to activate Stream Analytics?

11 REPLIES 11
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tgs,

There are only two options for the data source on my side, you can check the following screenshot.
1.PNG

Moreover, as stated in this official article, there are two ways to create a real-time streaming data feed that can be consumed and visualized by Power BI. And only API and PubNub data sources appear in the screenshot of the official article.

• Power BI REST API using a real-time streaming endpoint
• PubNub

If you want to output Real-Time Azure Stream Analytics data to a Power BI Dashboard, you can follow the steps in this article.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @tgs,

As mentioned in the second blog you have posted, streaming data sets can be now either API, Azure Stream Analytics (coming soon), and PubNub. The option for Azure Stream Analytics is not released yet. We would need to wait some time to use it.

Currently, you can create a real-time dashboard for Azure Stream Analytics following the steps in this blog:http://radacad.com/stream-analytics-and-power-bi-join-forces-to-real-time-dashboard .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

To build onto Lydia's answer:

We are currently working on having a feature to enable ASA to output to Power BI via streaming datasets. This will in turn allow you to create streaming tiles based on ASA outputs. Later this year, we plan to have a private preview for this feature. If you're interested, please PM me, and I'll add you to our private preview list.

Thanks!

-Sirui

I was shock when I see my data is arriving IoT Hub. The data is processing in ASA to Blob Storage though the output to PowerBi is not appear on "Dataset" panel.

Then, I saw it on "Streaming Datasets". And the dashboard was totally awesome for live data without specifying "SHOW IN THE LAST XX SECONDS" as incoming can be dynamic interval send from downstream. Totally perfect. And the things that I want so bad, is the line chart in window time. What a good dashboard view as Task Manager graph viewing without needed to see all the data from start until current (every hour is ok, every 5 seconds, nope, distort looks).

But last week, I creating another ASA output to PowerBi and see it sink back to normal "Dataset" panel. I was wondering what happen suddenly. Then, I read this article which stated "Private Preview".

We just show to customer what we did but we can't provided to them like what we did to our demo. Btw, when it will be release as an official ASA to PBi live streaming?

I am also interested in creating live dashboards on Power BI, using streaming data from ASA (if possible, I would like to be notified of the private preview as well).  

In the meantime, I have set up a streaming analytics service as outlined in the two links mentioned previously:

1 - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/stream-analytics-power-bi-dashboard/

2 - http://radacad.com/stream-analytics-and-power-bi-join-forces-to-real-time-dashboard

Everything is working as expected - I am sucessfully streaming data (JSON) from my event hub to Power BI. The only problem is that the numerical values in the data are being interpreted as a string type; therefore I cannot get any of the graph visualizations to work correctly. I had the same problem when using Power BI Desktop (with data being imported from Azure table storage), however, that application allowed me to "shape" the data, and modify the data types if necessary. I simply changed the type from a string to a decimal and everything worked correctly (of course the desktop application can only create "snapshot" reports, and not real time or "live" charts).

Is there a way I can change the data type using the Power BI web application? There could be an issue with my ASA Query but the data is being transferred...

Select
timecreated,
Out,
Ex,
Rm,
Name
from devicesinput TIMESTAMP by timecreated

Thanks in advance.

@sirui_sun wrote:

To build onto Lydia's answer:

We are currently working on having a feature to enable ASA to output to Power BI via streaming datasets. This will in turn allow you to create streaming tiles based on ASA outputs. Later this year, we plan to have a private preview for this feature. If you're interested, please PM me, and I'll add you to our private preview list.

Thanks!

-Sirui

of the following links

Hello - unfortunately, there's no easy way to change the data type in the Power BI web application.

I would suggest updating the ASA query to explicitly cast the fields that you want to be numbers:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn834995.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn835065.aspx

Once you cast the field, ASA should update the type in Power BI as part of outputting the field.

Let me know if that works!

Yes, it worked perfectly. The revised ASA query is shown below. Can I be informed of the ASA streaming dataset private preview when it becomes available?

Thanks.

Select
CAST (timecreated AS datetime) as timecreated,
CAST (Out AS bigint) as Out,
CAST (Ex AS bigint) as Ex,
CAST (Rm AS bigint) as Rm,
Name
from devicesinput TIMESTAMP by timecreated

Of course. Please PM me with your e-mail address, and I will add you to the private preview list. When private preview begins, I will reach out with next steps.

Hi sirui_sun,

I already PM you for joining the private preview list

When will this feature be released? 

Can you add me to the preview as well?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors