Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kvisborg

refresh excel with altered column names

Hi all, 

I would like your help to figure out how to refresh a dataset in BI, when I have altered the column names?

In more words;

I need to extract excel sheets from a local system and then save them in my personal OneDrive each month. As the extracted columns in the excel have unclear names (I am not able to alter these in the system), I alter the column names in BI after I upload the excel files. But how do I make sure that BI recognizes the newest excel-files, and thereby able to refresh, when I alter the column names?

Best

//Kvisborg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Kvisborg,

"I would like to compare and sum several months"

In this case, please put all excel files to a local folder, then use Folder connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to the data source. Please make sure that the table structure in all  the original excel files are same(same columns, same column names). After that, you can rename columns in Power BI Desktop, create report in Desktop, publish report to Power BI Service.

In Power BI Service, you can set schedule refresh for the dataset after configuring gateway and adding the Folder within gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Kvisborg,

Do you directly connect to the Excel file in Power BI Service and then create report?

If so, you are able to rename the fields when creating visuals. And you can set onedrive refresh for the dataset in Power BI Service. This way, each month, you can upload new Excel file to OneDrive to replace existing file, new data will get updated automatically in Power BI report. Please make sure that all the excel files have same table structure(same excel file name, same columns and same column names in excel table).
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answer, @v-yuezhe-msft

Being entirely new to PBI, this might be a follish question so bear with me:

You ask, if I connect directly: Maybe? I Upload the excel data to PBI  manually via the Desktop solution by choosing "Get Data" (is that a direct connect?)

And if I understand you correctly, I just have to replace the exsiting excel in OneDrive with new excel each month - and before replacing I need to make sure, that the column names in the excel sheet match what I have chosen in the PBI report I have set up?

//Kvisborg

@Kvisborg,

Do you use web connector in Power BI Desktop? What data would you like to get in Power BI report? Data of all months or data of the latest month?

Regards,
Lydia

I choose this:

1) Get Data from Excel

2) And then I pick the specific excel sheet from my OneDrive

3) And then load it up to PBI desktop

Starting up, I only have data for the previous month, but as time goes I would like to compare and sum several months

Best

@Kvisborg,

"I would like to compare and sum several months"

In this case, please put all excel files to a local folder, then use Folder connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to the data source. Please make sure that the table structure in all  the original excel files are same(same columns, same column names). After that, you can rename columns in Power BI Desktop, create report in Desktop, publish report to Power BI Service.

In Power BI Service, you can set schedule refresh for the dataset after configuring gateway and adding the Folder within gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

THANk you so much!

also for your patience 🙂

Good day

//Kvisborg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors