Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

adiguy

"A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception" -> HELP !

Hello all 

Trying to connect to my mySQL server with the desktop , 

and i keep getting this error -  "A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception"

I checked everything ,  I have access to server , I manage to login with user passworkd from other systems like WorkBench ,

Help ?? 🙂

Adi

13 REPLIES 13
BSIM
Regular Visitor

I have the same error,  I cannot update my data from a MySQL database, the error message returned is: 'An error occurred while reading data from the provider: 'A call to SSPI failed , see the inner exception.'

any solution please !

anilreddy128
Frequent Visitor

Right now it works by unchecking "Encrypt connections" option in "Edit Permissions" window of Data Source settings.

This is possible in Power BI Desktop.

How to do this in PowerBI Service?

Hi

I had this issue and fixed it by unchecking "Encrypt Connection" in Data Source Settings (thank to @anilreddy128).

I don't know how that checkbox turned on (Power BI Desktop update - September 2019 ?)

My model refreshes correctly in Power BI Service for a while. I suppose encryption was turned off when I deployed it previously. Maybe you should re-publish your PBIX.

erreru-sspi.png

Jean-Pierre Riehl
MVP Data Platform
anilreddy128
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am in same boat and looking for solutions. Did you get a chance to solve this issue? Is it working now?

Regards,

Anil

Wilkis

I have the same problem, please help me.

adiguy

Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40.exe Error: 0 : A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception.
DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-09-28T14:12:45.9387300Z","Action":"Engine/IO/Db/MySql/ProcessException","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Exception exception)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.StartSSL()\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.Open()\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.Open()\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.Create(MySqlConnectionStringBuilder settings)\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.CreateNewPooledConnection()\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.GetPooledConnection()\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.TryToGetDriver()\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.GetConnection()\r\n   at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Open()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.WrappedDbConnection.Open()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.DbExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Open>b__0()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.DbEnvironment.RunWithRetryGuard[T](Func`1 action, Func`2 retryAfterSqlError, Action finalizeOnRetry, String dataSourceNameString, IEngineHost host)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.DbEnvironment.ConvertDbExceptions[T](IResource resource, Func`1 action, Func`2 retryAfterSqlError, Action finalizeOnRetry, String dataSourceNameString, IEngineHost host)\r\n\r\nInnerException\r\nException:\r\nExceptionType: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted\r\nStackTrace:\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.282 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"f244fe92-ca84-4c4c-b0f4-892802227819","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":80,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0001144"}
DataMashup.Trace Information: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-09-28T14:12:45.6148071Z","Action":"Engine/IO/Db/MySQL/RunWithRetry","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.282 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"f244fe92-ca84-4c4c-b0f4-892802227819","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":80,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.3240824"}
DataMashup.Trace Information: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-09-28T14:12:45.6147468Z","Action":"Engine/IO/Db/MySQL/RunWithRetry","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.282 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"f244fe92-ca84-4c4c-b0f4-892802227819","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":80,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.3241940"}
HST
Regular Visitor

Same problem here. 

It has to be related to SSL encryption.

As soon as SSL/TLS was enabled at the MySQL server, problem occurs.  Just a note, that encryption is not mandatory at the MySQL side, I can connect via MySQL workbench either with plain nor encrypted connection. 

Has anyone found solution ? 

Thank you 

Jan 

Can someone address this issue? This is affecting our decision in regards to using this or another product

mikecuthbert
Regular Visitor

Hi 

I have had the same issue over recent weeks, I'm afraid I don't know how to fix it BUT I do know how to work around it.

All you need to do is setup ODBC connection(s) to your MySQL database(s) and then chose the ODBC connection method from Power BI "Get Data" menu.

You'll be able to select the ODBC database from there and choose the tables you need or if you select the Advanced option you can commit a SQL statement as you would do if the MySQL connection option was working.

A side point, I have this issue with 2 of the 3 MySQL servers I use, 1 of them however works absolutely fine through the connection so I can only imagine the issue is server side....but that's about as far as my technical capabilities extend 🙂

Hope that helps

Mike

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adiguy,

In your scenario, how did you connect to MySQL, via "MySQL Database" data source type in desktop? Based on my research about the error message "A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception", it seems the issue can be caused by the windows update, see: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception - The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted.

Also please verify you are using correct server and database name, and authentication, credential when connecting to MySQL database. Please use the latest desktop version 2.38.4491.282. And enable desktop trace log to see if you can find useful information.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey 

I connected to the mySQL via Get Data->Databese->MySQL  in the desktop tool .

I also understood this is something with Microsoft authentication or "name pipe" issye , 

but I dont understand how to fix it .

I downloaded the latest version from power BI site

I connected to the mySQL server with user/pass on another tool just to verify my credentials

nothing works !

thats it - we can not work with the tool anymore .

All my PC's and servers in the office could not connect with the PowerBY desktop to my DB .

I need urgent help , or we are loosing this tool to a diffrent one.

best

Adi 

Hi @adiguy,

Can you try to connect to MySQL database in Power BI desktop version 2.38.4491.642  to see if the same error occurs?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, can you please send us the traces via Send A Frown?

(Steps: Options > Diagnostics > Tracing > Enable Tracing (Verbose) & Open Traces folder, and then reproduce your failure, close PBI Desktop, get the traces from Traces folder)

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors