@dmacdonald, could you please follow steps in this blog for the trouble shooting steps about how to deal with the "A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In" error?
In addition, in this article which discusses workaround of the same issue in OneNote is to run the addin with Administrator permission. Please also try it to see whether it works in Excel.
Looks to me like we are still just guessing what the problem is.
Well Powerbi is an msi installer so the instructions actually won't work as described.
Regardless, I ran the msi in an adminstrator elevated environment and there is no change.
Looks like a great tool, but I'll wait to roll it out in my organization once it's stable and reliable,
I think the bigest issue here is that the error messaging and loging is, in a word, useless.
And useless messages are not going to help my IT group install this for 100 users.
Same here. Publisher can't load. I tried repairing Office, install and reinstall, running under admin. Doesn't work. From what I can tell, there are no errors logged in the Event Viewer. Any tips of how to troubleshoot the load failure? Does the add-in have a log somewhere?
I spent hours on it, it has never worked for me.
I was thinking of using it in our organization, but since it does not work and appears that the error in niether logged or correctable I simply gave up.
I am trying to put the 32bit version of this product into our environment and am expereinceing the same behavior as the OP.
We are running Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB 10.0.14393 64bit with Office365 16.0.8431.2046 32bit using Shared Computer Activiation. I've tried it on multiple computers and both exhibit the exact same behavior. Looking at the registry I do have the Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Power BI Publisher for Excel key with only one StringValue with the name UserInstallId with the data of seemingly random (I know it's not really) letter and number combo xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx. Going into Excel and putting a checkmark back in the COM add-ins area does nothing nor does forcing the addins as enabled via the Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.ExcelAddIn key's LoadBehavior DWORD to Data value of 3.
As a test I tried the 64bit version in our Windows 7 SP1 64bit with Office 2010 64bit environment and it installed and worked just fine. To be clear, this is not a solution as we are removing this environment in 3 months.
I just gave up on it.
We subscribe to Office 365 for all of our users.
I have a small set using powerbi, but for integration with Excel we use old school data connections that have nothing to do with the powerBI infrastructure.
I'm not sure what the roadmap is for Excel and powerBI, but since MS showed no interest in solving this issue other than the standard, tech support uninstall re-install I don't think even a loose integration is in the plans.
My decision to abandon this appears to be still the right call.