Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NorthernGuy
Frequent Visitor

import file from google drive

Hi,

I have a client that maintains a sales bookings forecast report in a Google Spreadsheet file that is saved and updated within a Google Drive folder.  When I follow the PowerBI process to "get data" via either a "Folder" or "URL" PowerBI only loads the meta data for the google spreadsheet and not the actual data.

How can I build a PowerBI report accessing data in a google spreadsheet stored within Google Drive?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to connect to a google excel file using the following link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/AAXXXX/export?format=xlsx

Just substitute the red parts with the filename. The filename can be found when generating a shareable link:

billede.png

Ruth from Curbal posted a youtube demo and an invoked function to make it even easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hFCeduIP6k

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would try a couple different troubleshooting things to try to sort this out. First, I would bring the file local, copy and paste and eliminate the Google Drive aspect completely. See if it works. If it does, then there's something up with Google Drive. If not, then it is something to do with the format of the Google Spreadsheet. If it is the latter, you could try some of the other import drivers, like import from Excel, etc. to see if you can get one of them to work.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors