Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KeesKuip
Frequent Visitor

import data from other pbix-file into the current one. Is it possible?

Is it possible to import the (some) data of one pbix file into another one?

I want to 'get data' from a pbix-file when I click on 'New Source' in the query editor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KeesKuip,

In Power BI Desktop, it's not supported to get data from an existing .PBIX file directly via Get Data option.

However, we can get another .PBIX file data in a new .PBIX file use below two methods:

a. Use Copy Table option to copy all table data. Then in a new .PBIx file, click Enter Data option, paste the table.

z1.PNGz2.PNG

b. Export data from visual to a .CSV file. Then in a new .PBIX file, retrieve data from this .CSV file via Get Data->CSV. For more information, please refer to this article: Export data from Power BI visualizations.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem. My table has 7000 rows and can't do a " copy and paste"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody

this looks good with a reasonable amount of data but im working with a huge Database, I'm not able to perform both of this solutions, any further ideas?

Many thanks for your support

Kind regards

This is still not possible right in PowerBI? I really would like to import PBIX files into other PBIX files. 

joakims
Frequent Visitor

You can publish the old data model to Power BI Service and connect to it through PBI Publisher for Excel. Then, import data to your new data model from this Excel. Hope this helps!

Best,

Joakim

Update: check out DirectQuery for Power BI datasets (now in public preview). This solves the problem in my opinion.

Blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fi-fi/blog/directquery-for-power-bi-datasets-and-azure-analysis-servic...

Public preview/GA: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave2/power-bi/direct-query-over-po...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KeesKuip,

In Power BI Desktop, it's not supported to get data from an existing .PBIX file directly via Get Data option.

However, we can get another .PBIX file data in a new .PBIX file use below two methods:

a. Use Copy Table option to copy all table data. Then in a new .PBIx file, click Enter Data option, paste the table.

z1.PNGz2.PNG

b. Export data from visual to a .CSV file. Then in a new .PBIX file, retrieve data from this .CSV file via Get Data->CSV. For more information, please refer to this article: Export data from Power BI visualizations.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors