Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cyrilbrd
Helper IV
Helper IV

how long does it take for the Reports located in OneDrive to be updated on app.powerbi.com

Considering a set of pbix files located on OneDrive and uploaded on app.powerbi.com.

So far the tiles load correctly and all pages are present.

I assumed that the 'refresh' button located in the submenu of the DATASETS would 'refresh' said data, but in fact such just 'crashed' the system, with the apparition of a small yellow triangle with an exclamation point giving the following message:

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 4.25.32 PM.png

Oops, something went wrong.

An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.

Processing ErrorThe credential stored in the cloud is missing.
Cluster URIWABI-SOUTH-EAST-ASIA-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity Id4c6e0507-dfdc-4acb-9852-15d31d2f5db2
Request Idbbd9ab12-49ce-4214-c629-d88411f224f9
Time2015-09-02 07:43:12Z

What one should do to ensure that app.powerbi.com reads data from OneDrive on a regular basis?

What would be such basis?

Is there a setiing for such?

Thanks for any feedback.

13 REPLIES 13

This appears to fall under this scenerio from the support page for troubleshooting personal gateways found here.

Error: The credential stored in the cloud is missing.
You could get this error in Settings for <dataset> if you have a scheduled refresh and then uninstalled and re-installed the Personal Gateway. When you uninstall a Personal Gateway, data source credentials for a dataset that has been configured for refresh are removed from the Power BI service.
Solution: In Power BI, go to the refresh settings for a dataset. In Manage Data Sources, for any data source with an error, click Edit credentials and sign in to the data source again.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Notice that refreshing from OneDrive and refreshing data sources are different things....The pbix file will updated around every hour..That means that the data model changes / report changes will be upload ( with some limitations ) plus the data that are stored in pbix file..But the actual data sources won't be updated every hour - need to scedule a refresh in the browser, enter source credentials etc..and the data sources needs to be supported for refresh..

Konstantinos Ioannou

@Seth_C_Bauer would this apply to free account? Gateway is a feature available for pro account only I believe.

@konstantinos every hour, noted. Here again to your knowledge would this feature be available to free version? Scheduled Refresh might be a pro feature?

@Cyrilbrd nope, - you are correct, you can't use personal gateway with free account.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Cyrilbrd You can schedule refresh daily or weekly for a free user. 

@ashishrj I am not sure if I can find this feature.

This is what i get whenever I try to schedule such refresh:

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 3.36.15 PM.png

@Cyrilbrd On-premise data sources can be refreshed using Data Management Gateway (DMG). To install and use the same, you need to be a Power BI Pro User. You can only refresh supported online data sources for refresh using a free user. You can try out 60 Days Power BI Pro trial account and install DMG and schedule the same

@ashishrj what happens after 60 days? hence would the procedure remain active or would it disappear after trial period?

I am not clear about this sentence:

"...You can only refresh supported online data sources for refresh using a free user..."

@Cyrilbrd Definitely it will disappear and services will stop running after trial period.

Data refresh for free users are supported for PBIX and Excel files for online data source as given here. On-prem data sources needs DMG and hence Pro user. Hope things are clear!

What if my data sources contain both online (supported by free users) and on-premise sources, BUT I only want to schedule the free online source for refresh?

@SnoJa10 as mentioned by @konstantinos refresh is not an option for free users (maybe said option should be greyed out for non PRO users?), refresh is done automatically by system apparently once daily although I have seen it, I am unable to identify the trigger. Further based on trials it seems that data coming from OneDrive do update too but on a more regular basis (although here again not dynamically and not instantly).

Still the free version offers updates...

Up to now the PowerBI recognises the data sources and won't let you schedule refresh for any source.."...contains on premises data.." etc

Konstantinos Ioannou

@ashishrj yes things are clear, well they were already made clear from the start as it is mentioned that the free version has a few limitations. I understand that 'trying the pro version for 60 days' may appeal some, but I would not consider this as a valid way to update data located on OneDrive for users that chooses to use the free PowerBI setup.

I shall have a look at the link you sent.

It would however be good however to make such information clearly seen to potential users as it may definitely tip the balance toward either of the two versions...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors