Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

paul_morrison79
Frequent Visitor

gateway - XLSX or CSV

Hello

I am having an issue I have built some visualizations in PowerBI Desktop and exported them to the PowerBI service, I have since setup and got running the Gateway and this is working without issue for the SQL Server. My issue is I have some flat data sets either in XLSX or CSV I am able to setup the gateway connection but not able to ater it within the Data Source Settings the spreadsheet is on a file serv and I am using the UNC path for the data gateway to connect to them. The issue seems to be when I am building the visualizations in PowerBI Desktop it uses P:\**** not \\server\*****. Am I doing something wrong with the config at either development of the visualizations in PowerBI Desktop or within the gateway?

Cheers 

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@paul_morrison79,

The file path should be same in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. In other words, if you use P:\**** file path, you should also use P:\**** when adding the file within gateway. Otherwise, the published PBIX file will not detect the configured gateway in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
paul_morrison79
Frequent Visitor

Hi All 

Thanks for the feedback, after some investigating I discovered that the file path needs to be the UNC addressing on both the gateway and within PowerBI. 

To alter the address within PowerBI you need to go into the query editor and alter the address from P:\filepath\ documentname to \\servername\fileserverinstance\documentname

Cheers 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@paul_morrison79,

The file path should be same in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. In other words, if you use P:\**** file path, you should also use P:\**** when adding the file within gateway. Otherwise, the published PBIX file will not detect the configured gateway in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors