Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mgoldenberg

connection on premise cube via live connection

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect cube data to power bi.

when I choose "import" it works but when I choose "live connection" it doesn't work.

what could be the reason for it? I do it on my power desktop

thanks,

Mey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mgoldenberg Pretty clear message. The current SSAS version you are using is not supported, so it must be older than the minumum requirements which are outlined in that error message.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@mgoldenberg Are you using Tabular or MD? And what version of AS are you running? There are minumum requirements for MD cubes. See here under "Limitations of SSAS Mulitdimensional Models in Power BI Desktop"

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer thank for your quick reply. It is MD cube but I'm not sure about the SA version. Does import option work with old versions of SA?

thanks,

Mey

Hi @mgoldenberg,

As you mentioned, live connection to SSAS cube doesn't work in desktop, is there any error throwing out? Please try to run the desktop latest version 2.45.4704.442.

You can also check limitation to use a live connection against tabular or multidimensional instances: Limitations of Analysis Services live connections. To check if target SSAS meet the requirement, you can contact your SQL Server administrator.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft I have to most updated desktop version, according to the video tutorial (Guy in the Cube) it is possible to use a 

live connect so I guess the only problem is the SQL server (need to check with my administrator).

this is the error message that I get when I'm trying to use live connect:

cube_live_connect.pngt.

@mgoldenberg Pretty clear message. The current SSAS version you are using is not supported, so it must be older than the minumum requirements which are outlined in that error message.

@mgoldenberg Import should work, but you need to be aware that the PBIX file has a max size of 1GB in order to be able to be published to the Service.

@Seth_C_Bauer my data is larget than 1 GB so I will have to use live connect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors