cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Levien Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

connecting a SQLite database

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a (local) .db file, created in SQLite3.

Anyone any idea how this could work out?

Thanks & regards,

Levien

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
pkoetzing Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: connecting a SQLite database

Hi,

You need to install a SQLite ODBC driver (look here: http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc) on your local machine. Then "Get Data" - "ODBC" and enter "database=C:\mysqlite.db" as connection string. This works at least for the PowerBI Desktop.

/Peter

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

From my understanding SQLite is an embedded database and doesn't allow external connections.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

You need to install a SQLite ODBC driver (look here: http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc) on your local machine. Then "Get Data" - "ODBC" and enter "database=C:\mysqlite.db" as connection string. This works at least for the PowerBI Desktop.

/Peter

Super User
Super User

Yeah Peter that will work on a desktop only because its embedded.  If you want to publish online and set up a refresh, you'll be out of luck

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Frequent Visitor

Yep - I realized that. But what do you actually mean by "embedded"? The sqlite.db is just a file. Of cause you need to have the proper protocol to understand the data - and this might not be obvious to the PBI Service, since sqlite isn't directly supported. But the same issue occurs with Microsoft Access databases and I actually expected the PBI Service to know how to handle their own proprietary format?

Levien Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Peter. I found that odbc driver earlier indeed, but was marked by Norton as unsafe. Tried anyway, works fine. Indeed, at the moment only on local file, let's see for the futur!

Best regards, Levien