Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BILLLAIQUR
Regular Visitor

advance option to run SQL query in Redshift

Hi,

We recently moved to AWS environment where we are trying to use Power BI to connect with Redshift using direct query. It's working perfect but we couldn't use SQL queries on top of it using Advance option (usually exist if i connect with SQL Server) to alter\minimise the datasets. Is This option not available in Redshift? Any reason why is that or any alternatives that i can think about.

Regards,

Laiq

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@BILLLAIQUR

When using the Amazon redshift connector in Power BI Desktop, it is not possible to write SQL queries, we are only able to input server name and database name to get data from Amazon redshift.

As a workaround for this issue, you can create a ODBC data source for Amazon redshift following the guide in this video, then connect to the ODBC data source in power I Desktop, and you can write SQL queries in SQL statement textbox. However, in this case, only import mode is available.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks lydia. Hope there will be solution in future to use sql queries for direct query

@BILLLAIQUR,

You can submit an feature request in the Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors