Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FrustratedPM

Why is "Get Data" so difficult?

So here's my exprience: 

We have data on prem, and in cloud. No problem understanding that. 

This tool is also about data. Big data. Lots of data. So it's automatically going to be about thousands of datasets and millions of rows. That's called "Normal" in this business. 

So why is it so difficult to make this bucket of bolts just work with that?

Get data from on prem needs gateways. Gateways don't work unless third party products are developed to solve authentication problems between Office365 and Windows Domains. I thought they were both Microsoft? Maybe I missed something, 

The advice from the technical experts is "just publish your data to the cloud". Every time you want to refresh your report. It's less than 100,000 rows right now, but as we get into the groove (assuming we can), it's going to be millions. Who on earth thinks that rebuilidng the data warehouse everytime I want to refresh a report is a clever way of doing things? 

Get data from SharePoint: Can't be done. 

Get data from Access: Need special drivers

Get data from gateway: The gateway has been dismanteled because it wasn't used in the last week. 

To even get into Power BI Desktop needs me to sign in every time I use it. Not even my browser asks for that. 

Get data is glossy slick advert with very little substance.  

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm not sure why you believe you can't get data using gateways unless third party products are installed, can you elaborate?

I get data from SharePoint all the time, both on-premises and in Office 365.

I don't have to sign-in every time I use Power BI Desktop, you may want to talk to your IT department about that.

Authentication to O365, use OAuth.

Don't use Access. No one should use Access. For the love of all that is good and decent in this world, stop with the Access already. 🙂

If you think Get Data in Power BI is difficult, stay way from Alteryx and SSIS.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Perhaps your role is more important than mine. We are only 2,000 employees spending about $1.5b per annum... I suspect we are too small to for serious support. My Power BI Desktop had an update every month... But I need special permission to update it.

I cannot control OAuth. Power BI Desktop offers me a windows authentication, anonymous, and one other, but its definitely not OAuth.

As for MS Access, well, let's just say that mature tools beat these beta apps any time, in my books.

What specifically would you like to know?

(Love the way I've posted 1 message. One. Visited this site twice. Now I've veen awarded the "Frequent Visitor" badge. What a joke)

Sounds like you aren't using the right connector. If you use the SharePoint Online list connector, you should definitely be offered to use OAuth. Perhaps you are using the SharePoint (on-premises) connector by mistake?

If you have a specific issue or question we are happy to help. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

If you just want to complain, well, you probably won't get much help. Please vent to co-workers instead. That's not really the purpose of this forum.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

OK, let's try again. 

PowerBI Desktop > Home > Get Data > More...

In the serch box that pops up, typing "SharePoint" gives three options:

1. SharePoint Folder

2. SharePoint Online List

3. SharePoint List

Choose SharePoint Online List

I now have to provide credentials. 3 Options. 

1. Anonymous - Access is forbidden

2. Windows - Current or alternate credentials

Current - Access is forbidden

Alternate -  Access is forbidden 

(and that's trying with both my domain and my office 365 login)

3. Microsoft Account

Sign in > "Sorry you don't have access"

So where exactly is the OAuth option supposed to be accessed from? 

(And if I use other methods to access it, like the web page, or a database connection, I have full access no problem)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors