Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andreyminakov
Frequent Visitor

Why PQ makes 2 requests to the same url for web type data source?

It would be reasonable to do 1 request, but PQ does 2 in both PQ versions (PBIDesktop and Excel Target version). Why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@andreyminakov,

I  have consulted this issue internally and get PG's response as below:

"The two requests are expected: one is for schema, another one is for data loading. This is currently by design."

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
andreyminakov
Frequent Visitor

Hi All!

I have a couple of questions regarding requesting web resources from PQ.

1. I noticed that Power Query sends the same web request to web sources not once, but several times. E.g. if I call one url one time in my PQ script, PQ makes 4-6 equal requests (in Excel, and 2 in PBIDesktop) to the source, and I do not see any meaningful difference between every of the request (I use a tool to see the actual traffic from my comp to the web server). And the server answers with absolutely the same answer for every request. Why this is happens?

2. The problem is even worse with the web in PQ - if I reference to another web query in PQ, I do not see any cashing or something similar - all these additional requests are made for every PQ query, whether they are reference to each other or not. Yes, I read about query isolation, but - I read in the same topic that in case when the same data are cashed on disk, the using of cashe does happen. But in case of web requests I do not see that - e.g. if I have one query with the url put in it, and another query which is just a reference to the first one, I see 2*(4 or 6 for Excel / 1 - 2 for PBIDesktop) request to web server. So is there any using of disc cashing in PQ in case of web requests?

PS. And yes, I voted here 🙂https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/16852819...

Update - I installed Office Inside Target release, and the situation in Excel, described above, is almost totally improved! The number of requests to a web source for Excel became equal to PBI Desctop - 2 per query. And now in Excel you can make any number of references to a web request query, and it doesn't increase the number of requests to a web source. And this is even better in comparison with PBIDesktop, where I see increasing of requests if I add new references to a query.

BUT - anyway - why both of the PQ versions (PBIDesktop and PQ in Target Excel version) make 2 requests to a web source of a query instead of 1?

@andreyminakov,

I  have consulted this issue internally and get PG's response as below:

"The two requests are expected: one is for schema, another one is for data loading. This is currently by design."

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors