Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is the On-Premises Personal Gateway installed?

Hi,

When I install the On-Premises Personal Gateway where is it actually being installed and executed from?

If I am using a single laptop but switching between two different Windows accounts (UserA and UserB) then when I install a Personal Gateway, whilst in the UserA Windows account and signed into the UserA Power BI Service, is the Personal Gateway installed against the UserA Power BI Service account so only UserA and see and use the Personal Gateway, or is it installed against the single laptop and therefore, when signed in, both UserA and UserB Power BI Service accounts should be able to see and use the Personal Gateway?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on my test, when using UserA account to install on-premises gateway(personal mode) in a single laptop, only UserA is able to see and use the on-premises gateway(personal mode) in Power BI Service. UserB will not able to use the gateway when he signs in Power BI service.

If you want to share gateway with different accounts, please install on-premise gateway instead. When you manage on-premises gateway, you can go to the administrator’s tab to add additional accounts as admins, for more details, please review this article.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reposnes.

When I attempt to install the On-Premises Personal Gateway I received an error (shown in the below screenshot). Why am I getting this error?  What do I need to do to get the Personal Gateway installed and running properly?

PG.PNG

To add, when attempting to install the Personal Gateway again it says I have a Personal Gateway already installed. However, viewing the refresh datasource page it shows no Personal Gateway as present. See the two below screenshots. Thanks.

PGai.PNG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pgnti.PNG

@Anonymous,

Ensure that your firewall is not blocking the gateway, you can add required ports in firewall following the guide in this article. And before you re-install personal gateway, uninstall any previous version of gateway and failed installation.

There is also a similar thread for your reference.
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/quot-Gateway-service-is-not-running-quot-error-while-signing-in/td-p/217036 

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Persevering with this issue I have found something interesting I would like to share with you all. I'm now looking for confirmation that what I'm experiencing is the correct outcome.

Using a single PC, I log into UserA Windows account and check no Personal Gateway is installed, there isn't. I log into UserA Power BI Service. I then install the Personal Gateway. It installs successfully and is available to use. I can now see the Personal Gateway installed under Control Panel > Programs, as expected. I log out of the UserA Power BI Service and Windows account.

Using the same single PC, I log into UserB Windows account and check no Personal Gateway is installed, there isn't. I log into UserB Power BI Service. I then install the Personal Gateway. The install fails with the below screenshot. However, I can see the Personal Gateway under Control Panel > Programs.

PG.PNG

If I try the above process but starting with UserB followed by UserA, then UserB's Personal Gateway works and UserA's doesn't. So even though UserA and UserB have different Windows profiles it seems more that one Personal Gateway on a single machine causes failures (regardless of different profiles used).

Should this be the case?  Thanks in advance.

@Anonymous,

I test the scenario as yours, both two domain users in my computer can install on-premises gateway(personal mode) in a single machine.

In your scenario, please check if you open required ports in Firewall, also ensure that you right-click the installation package and select "Run as administrator" to start the installation.

Regards,

pkoetzing
Advocate III
Advocate III

The On-Premises Personal Gateway  ist installed to C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway. The Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway is a PBIEgwService and hence not user specific. Both UserA and UserB should be able to see and use the Personal Gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors