Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

coneslager

When is gateway needed?

From what I was reading, if you have a public datasource then the gateway is not needed.   I am pulling database from a sql server that is hosted on a vm in azure and it is not behind my firewall.  When I try to refersh the dataset, I get the "gateway is not configured" message.  Is sql server always assumed to be a private connection and need a gateway.

3 REPLIES 3
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@coneslager Gateway is required for on-prem data sources like flat files, on-prem databases and not for online data sources. Even SQL Server hosted in Azure VM does not require gateway. I have few reports getting data from Azure VM and refresh works fine without any gateway installed. 

That is my understanding of how it should work which is why I was surprised when I did a refresh on the dataset and got the personal gateway configuration message.

On your azure vm, is you firewall wide open?  Did you make any configuration changes?

Just to clarify, you are on a windows vm running sql server, not azure sql which is public.

What options or configurations did you set to get your Azure VM with SQL database to refresh without using a gateway?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors