Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andreyminakov
Frequent Visitor

What is generally faster - Table.ReplaceValue or Table.TransformColumns, for multiple replacements?

Hi All!
I’ve got a question - if I need to do several replacements in a table column - what is the fastest way to do that, by design (does NOT matter that one way allows to make more types of transofmations)?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@andreyminakov,

You can analyze the power query performance by using trace log. See https://www.excelando.co.il/en/analyzing-power-query-performance-source-large-files/.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@andreyminakov,

It depends on your data. How would you replace the values in the column? To optimize multiple replacements. you can combine Table.ReplaceValue and Table.TransformColumns functions.

There is a similar thread for your reference:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Optimizing-multiple-replacements/td-p/102389

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia! Thanks a lot for your replay and useful thread regarding the task of replacement of several chars in a table. But I still would like to understand - what is better way to solve the task from time of execution point of view, and haven't found info about that there.
In general, I can do the task of remooving (as simpler variant of replacement) of a list of characters in all the columns of a table in these ways:

1. Multiple calls of Table.ReplaceValue (it's possible to make these call through List.Generate, but it doesn't influence the time of execution, I guess).
Table.ReplaceValue(Source,".","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{Table.ColumnNames(Source)})
Table.ReplaceValue(Source,",","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{Table.ColumnNames(Source)})
2. Call of Table.TransformColumns
Table.TransformColumns(
Source,
List.Zip({
Table.ColumnNames(Source),
List.Repeat(
{each Text.Remove(_, Text.ToList(".:;?!<>@#$%^&*=+"))},
Table.ColumnCount(Source))
})
)
3. Call Custom Function in Table.ReplaceValue
Table.ReplaceValue(
Source,
".:;?!<>@#$%^&*=+",
"",
(x,y,z) => List.Accumulate(
Text.ToList(y),
x,
(s, c) => Text.Remove(s, c)
),
Table.ColumnNames(Source)
)
And the question is - what is quicker by design of PQ?
What creates more overhead:
1. doing all the transformations at once for each row, but spending time PER ROW on preparing data needes for removing (making list from the text ".:;?!<>@#$%^&*=+", in the example above),
2. or prepare the data once (separating the text ".:;?!<>@#$%^&*=+" on chars before), and then go several times through all the rows with every particular char?

@andreyminakov,

You can analyze the power query performance by using trace log. See https://www.excelando.co.il/en/analyzing-power-query-performance-source-large-files/.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors