Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fcosp
Frequent Visitor

Value was either too large or too small for a Decimal

Hi Everyone,

I’m having a problem when I’m trying to update the data from the database, if I execute manually or the automated update from the web I’m getting this error: Value was either too large or too small for a Decimal.

If I updated the information from the PB desktop I don’t get the error.

I understand that the problem is that the data it’s bigger that than the column, but the error don't say what query is generating the problem, I have almost 20 queries to DB and I can't identify where the problem is.

I look in the forum and in the tutorial but I couldn’t find how to solve this.

Regards,

Federico

error PBI.png

6 REPLIES 6
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@fcosp are you able to expand that and see details ? if not i guess you will have to take a guess where you have used decimal number and check that. You can also look at your reports in power bi desktop and compare it with power bi service and spot the difference to find report or visual where you may have used decimal number field.

Thanks for the answers,

It’s already expanded, it’s all the detailed error.

I check out and I don’t have any data field in the tables of Power Bi with the type Decimals.

It’s really strange because the report from power bi desktop I updated and publish correctly buy I’m not able to update from web the same report.

Federico

I would suspect that you somewhere in your queries have a column that is initially is read as a decimal and then changed to another data type (you say you don't have any columns of with the type decimal) or you have a Change Type task that try to change a source value to decimal and then later you change it to something else.

/sdjensen

Thanks for the answer,

I already had this same problem reading from an excel, for that reason I didn’t set any data type to decimal, I didn’t set any change to data types for that reason. The problem is my information, because this was working last Friday, but I’m not able to identify the source/column that is generating the problem to correct the information that is coming from DB.

fcosp
Frequent Visitor

the problem was solved when i identified that the issue was a variable that had a lot of decimals, but i identified this in the report schema in the power bi desktop, i look all of my sigle reports and realize that one of them had a lot of decimals.

I think that PBI has to let you know in the power bi service where are you having the problem, in what query or dashboard are you having the problem.

regards,

@fcosp if you want influence on how the product develops you should either search for an already existing idea and vote for it or create a new one here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi

/sdjensen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors