Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edwardrmiles
Helper III
Helper III

Using the on-premise gateway with Dynamics CRM and on-prem SQL server

I'm trying to use the on-premise gateway for a model that has an on-premise SQL server and Dynamics 365 (online) data sources.

I have successfully installed both the personal and on-premise gateway, but I cannot switch between the two; the option to switch to "use a data gateway" is greyed out.  

I have added the SQL Server as a data source without issue. When I try to add Dynamics 365 (online) though I have to use a Web data source type as the OData data source type doesn't work - OAuth2 ins't an option, the credentials don't work if I use Basic and the URL isn't recognised if I use Windows. I'm not sure how important this is...

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
posterme
Frequent Visitor

Identically issue here - On-Prem SQL and CRM (Dynamics) in PBI Desktop - How configure the gateway correctly, that I can use it for the dataset online? 🙂

Thanks,

Philip

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In theory this should work, I have built a bunch of models that mix on-prem and cloud data sources. Not sure of what you are seeing specifically though. Unless I am totally losing it, but I'm pretty certain that I have built CRM Online dashboards that mash-up on-premises data but I will have to go back and check. I do know that I was having some issues with refreshing my CRM Online dashboard due to OAuth2 issues, that's in another thread somewhere.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

I have the same issue. My PBI Desktop dataset uses 2 on premises SQL server databases and one Online Dynamic365 CRM.

Is there any method to get it refreshed using a data gateway schedules to the published powerbi online datasets.

Thanks & Regards

Ranjith.PV (ranjith.pv@topazworld.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors