Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RonEllisGaut
Advocate I
Advocate I

Using One Drive for Business but getting propted for Personal Gateway installation

I have been using a One Drive for Business site as the staging area for my Power BI dataset. I have scheduled refresh configured and it is working well. Today I added a new Desktop File to the One Drive for Business site. I imported the desktop file with no problem. However, when I attempt to set up scheduled refresh, I get a message saying I need to install Personal Gateway. From my understanding, I don't need to use Personal Gateway when my files live on the One Drive for Business. Below, is message I get. I see the same issue no matter what Desktop file I import from the One Drive Site. Has anybody else experienced this? It is a real problem for me in that I cannot set up scheduled refresh. Any help or clues is appreciated.

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3

@RonEllisGaut What is the difference in sources for the 2 PBIX files you have on the one drive? If you use an on-premise source in your PBIX file, you will need to install the personal gateway. It's only when/if you have all your sources coming from an online source that you don't need one.

Check that out first.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi, thanks for the reply. The 2 .PBIX files are essentially the same with regard to the data sources. The data comes from a SQL Server running in Azure.

I installed the personal gateway on the Azure VM, but I get the same error. While I do have the gateway installed on my personal computer, because the .PBIX files are  on a One Drive for Business site, I wouldn't think this would make any difference. How does PowerBI.com decide where to look for the personal gateway? I thought the point of putting your files on OneDrive for Business was to eliminate the need to run the gateway. I'm confused.

@RonEllisGaut You are correct the personal gateway should not be needed for cloud only sources. I was asking about whether or not you had any on-prem source integrated in the PBIX file as well. (that would require a personal gateway).

In any case, this may be completely counter intuitive, but I just read on a different site the exact same issue you have except it was with OneDrive. The user deleted the data set to start over to re-produce the error, and it did not present itself again...

I hate recomending a delete/recreate but this may be one of those times to try it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors