Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using On Prem gateway

Hi,

In my organization, the CTO had set up an On-Prem GW (on a dedicated company server) and it seems to work fine with the server's local files.

When I create a report with Power BI Desktop, I would like to access files on a shared company drive in a way that it will go through the gateway.

I don't see a GateWay option in the Get Data...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tamir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

Yes. Just make sure that you are able to access the Excel files from the machine that installing gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

The Gateway is made for when you want to refresh the data from app.powerbi.com without going through desktop.

On dekstop you access the data directly because you are on the on-premise PowerBI.

When you will be online you will see your gateway for refresh / automatic refresh.

The gateway is not a datasource, only a 'gate' between the cloud and your data

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand.

So what is the way to be able to refresh?

My current flow is like this:

1. I create a report in Power Bi Desktop and my source is Excel files (could be on my laptop or on a company shared folder).
  2. I publish the report to an App on the Power Bi Service

Now...How do I tell the gateway to access my report an refresh it?

Do I have to create the report in the Power BI Service only?

Regards,

Tamir

@Anonymous,

You can add the Excel data source within gateway following the guide in this similar thread.  Then go to Settings->Datasets, find your dataset, choose the gateway and you will be able to set schedule refresh for your dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-yuezhe-msft,

I read the other thread. 

In my case, the Gateway is installed on a different Server than the one that hosts my files.

Would that solution still work?

Regards,

Tamir

@Anonymous,

Yes. Just make sure that you are able to access the Excel files from the machine that installing gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Thank you. I will try...

Thank you,

Tamir

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors