Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bullius
Helper V
Helper V

Unable to set up a gateway.

Hello,

I am trying to set up a gateway. 

I downloaded the software, selected "personal gateway" and followed the steps to launch it. I am not an Admin. Then, I went on app.powerbi.com and clicked on "Manage Gateways". This was the message:

No Gateways.pngSo, I clicked on "Schedule Refresh". This was the message:

Untitled.png

So, it recognises the gateway, but it doesn't show up on the "Manage gateways" area.

As you can see, it cannot refresh becasue the credentials are invalid. So, I clicked on "edit credentials" and "sign in". This was the result:

credentials.png

So, I clicked on the Gateway software icon. But there was nowhere to edit anything:

Gateway.png

So, then I tried uninstalling Gateway and reinstalling, this time choosing the "on-premises" option. This time, the gateway appeared on the "manage gateways" area and I was able to enter credentials and all seemed fine. However, when I went to refresh it, this message appeared:

offline.png

So, even though I have the new on-premises gateway up and running, it still wont refresh because the previous personnal gateway is offline. And I can't see how to remove the personal gateway because it does not show up in "manage gateways". 

I would like to have the on-premesis version going forward, so would like to remove the personal gateway completely.

Sorry for the lengthy message. Any help would be very much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bullius,

Firstly, do you have any entries of personal Gateway in Control panel>Programs>Uninstall a program? If you have, uninstall personal gateway from there. If you don’t have entries of personal gateway in control panel, use CCleaner to uninstall gateway

remnants and make sure you permanently delete (shift + delete) the Power BI Gateway – Personal folder from C:\Program Files.

Secondly, search on-premises data gateway from Start programs, and laugh the wizard, sign in to register the gateway(as shown In the following screenshot) .
Capture111.PNG

Thirdly, in Power BI Service, add a data source to the on-premises data gateway as shown in the following screenshot.
Capture222.PNG

Then check that if you can set schedule refresh for your datasets.
Capture333.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bullius,

Firstly, do you have any entries of personal Gateway in Control panel>Programs>Uninstall a program? If you have, uninstall personal gateway from there. If you don’t have entries of personal gateway in control panel, use CCleaner to uninstall gateway

remnants and make sure you permanently delete (shift + delete) the Power BI Gateway – Personal folder from C:\Program Files.

Secondly, search on-premises data gateway from Start programs, and laugh the wizard, sign in to register the gateway(as shown In the following screenshot) .
Capture111.PNG

Thirdly, in Power BI Service, add a data source to the on-premises data gateway as shown in the following screenshot.
Capture222.PNG

Then check that if you can set schedule refresh for your datasets.
Capture333.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks! I missed out the third step (adding a data source). It is working now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors