Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wchung
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Install Excel Publisher

Hello,

I've had connection issue after installing the latest Excel publisher, so I removed the add-in (from excel options) and re-installed the previous version, hoping that it will revert everything. Unfortunately it didn't work and I lost the publisher in the ribbon nor is it available in the COM Add-in list.

So to summarize the publisher is installed on my compuer (I can see it in the install/uninstall screen from control panel), but I can't see or select it from Excel.

Is there any way I can enable it in Excel?

Thank you for the help.

8 REPLIES 8
gvolst
Frequent Visitor

I installed the 32 bit version for office 2016 32 bit and that worked fine.

However, I uninstalled both products (publisher and office) and installed the office 2016 64 bit version.

When I'm trying to install the publisher 64 bit version I'm receiving the message that it requires Microsoft Excel 2007 or above.

Could some give me a hint how I'm able to solve this?

I tried restarting my machine and removed the registery key for Power BI Publisher, but without success.

Update 2018-01-08: I reinstalled office 2016 64 bit (en-us) and now the installation of Publisher went succesfull.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@wchung,

In your scenario, please uninstall publisher for excel in control panel, reboot your machine and re-install Excel publisher. Make sure that you installl the correct version of publisher(32 bit/64 bit). If you still get issues, please post the full error message.

Alternatively, you can use Analyze in Excel feature instead to view and interact with Power BI dataset in Excel.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I followed your instructions but still no luck with the issue. I'm still not able to see the Excel add-in. Below is the screen after I re-installed (publisher add-in not available in Excel) and the error message when I try to use the report (unable to connect to data source).

Thanks for your help.

2017-11-24_1103.png2017-11-27_1425.png

@wchung,

What is the version of your Excel? Are you able to use Analyze in Excel feature?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It's Excel 2013 (15.0.4953.1000).

When I use Analyze in Excel from BI screen, it opens up Excel and display the same error message I posted.

Thanks.

@wchung,

Have you downloaded the latest Analyze in Excel update?

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

I can see the Add-in now after windows update. But there's still the connection issue. I attached the screen that shows the error message and add-in version number. The error message pops up after I try to establish a new connection to the BI dataset.

Thanks,

Helen

2017-12-12_1352.png

@wchung,

Are you able to use "Analyze in Excel" feature? Please take a look at the following similar thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/PowerBI-Publisher-Issue-on-office-365-after-update-of-office...

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors