Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TSV

Hi,

Need some guidance please. I have a .tsv files on my local drive which I am struggling to import. Cannot seem to find the correct method to import it.

How can I import .tsv files into PBI?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I made a tsv file from Excel (save as Text (tab delimited), then change extension to TSV), and was able to ingest that into Power BI.  Maybe the file format is different than the files you are dealing with, but try to connect with CSV/TXT connector, and in the file picker change it to all file types.  In the next screen, you can choose tab delimited and ingest the data.  Alternatively, you can change the extension of your tsv to txt and use same connector.

Sorry if you've already tried that, but thought I'd chime in.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

TSV stands for Tab Separated Values. TSV files are used for raw data and can be imported into and exported from spreadsheet software. TSV files are essentially text files, and the raw data can be viewed by text editors, though they are often used when moving raw data between spreadsheets

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46893638/how-to-read-tsv-file-from-azure-data-lake-into-power-bi
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that there is no direct connctor for TSV file in Power BI currently.

Here is a similar thread which provide a way help us import TSV file to power bi with Azure Data Lake Storage. 

In addition, if it is covenient, we could convert the tsv file to the txt, csv or excel which is supported in power bi currently as a workaround. 

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately, I had a rather large TSV file recently that didn't play all that nicely with certain programs so I had to exert notable troubleshooting effort to try to figure out why the said programs didn't like it.  It would have been nice if I could have just tried to import the TSV directly into Power BI without having to go through third party clients.   There still may have been issues with the TSV but skipping the intermediate step may have saved me some notable time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cherry,

I also have tsv files. I'd like to use your offer to convert them. Please publish instructions for how to accomplish this task.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors