Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

markboy

Stuck on inaccessible Personal Gateway

I set up a personal gateway on a PC when initially learning Power BI and testing some things out.   That PC has since been wiped clean (no longer exists).  I'm now trying to associate an Enterprise Gateway but I'm unable to because the only available option for 'Gateway Connection' in Manage Gateways is for the now non-existing PG I initially set up.   The option 'Use a data gateway' is grayed out.

I even went and created a new dataset but it keeps trying to associate to the old PG.

How can I remove this old PG and/or associate these datasets to the EG I want to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @markboy,

I ran into something similiar a few days ago. I switched to a new PC and my Personal Data Gateway was on my old PC. 

If you create a new Personal Data Gateway, it will override the exisiting one that is associated to your account. You should then be able to remove the Personal one, and install/access the Enterprise Gateway.

Hope this helps,

Alan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @markboy,

I ran into something similiar a few days ago. I switched to a new PC and my Personal Data Gateway was on my old PC. 

If you create a new Personal Data Gateway, it will override the exisiting one that is associated to your account. You should then be able to remove the Personal one, and install/access the Enterprise Gateway.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Perfect!  Not intuitive but definitely a solution that worked.

Thanks!!

This worked for me as well and I can now just change the data source settings

however, any idea how to remove the personal gateway when uninstalling it.

it seems to still appear on the data source options.

more annoying than anything else.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors