Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sekic
Helper I
Helper I

Sql server to dynamics crm to power bi

Is possible to read SQL server database objects in dynamic crm,

and to use  dynamic crm as datasource (not sql server),

and get "direct query" thru crm (not sql) on live data?

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sekic,

In Power BI, all supported data sources to use DirectQuery mode can't be used for getting data from Dynamics CRM. See: Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop.

Both Dynamics 365 and OData data sources in Power BI desktop to get Dynamics CRM data only support Import mode, as well as Microsoft Dynamics CRM content pack for Power BI.

In one word, it's not possible to get data from the Dynamics CRM to Power BI directly in DirectQuery mode. Regarding the question to read data from SQL Server to Dynamics CRM, please post a thread in Dynamics CRM forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

There has been an update to this item. It is possible using a test feature (currently down).

You can read about it here from a blog post or the Microsoft documentation.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sekic,

In Power BI, all supported data sources to use DirectQuery mode can't be used for getting data from Dynamics CRM. See: Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop.

Both Dynamics 365 and OData data sources in Power BI desktop to get Dynamics CRM data only support Import mode, as well as Microsoft Dynamics CRM content pack for Power BI.

In one word, it's not possible to get data from the Dynamics CRM to Power BI directly in DirectQuery mode. Regarding the question to read data from SQL Server to Dynamics CRM, please post a thread in Dynamics CRM forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can read objects directly from Dynamics CRM but not sure if that will meet your needs, depends on what SQL Server information you are trying to read. There is a connector and a content pack for CRM. However, I do not believe either of those supports Direct Query.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors