Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

garz88
Regular Visitor

Sharepoint cant see one file?

I have a strange problem. I have an issue where I cant see a new file that has been added to a sharepoint but I can see all of the others. 

I use flow to strip excel files from an email that is sent through reporting software and save them onto the company share point. We then pull these files into Power BI link them together using relationships and hey presto. 

The issue I have is I have added a new file to the share point and when I select "add Data" and from sharepoint I see every excel file bar the new one. No matter what I try I cant seem to be able to see it to load it to the model. Can anyone advise where I am going wrong please.

The file is called notes but just doesnt appear??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @garz88,

Based on my test, it's able to get data from SharePoint Excel file which generated by Flow in Power BI. 

In your scenario, please go to the target SharePoint site, verify the Excel file is generated and displayed here firstly. 

As Power BI supports importing or connecting to workbooks created in Excel 2007 and later. Workbooks must be saved as .xlsx or .xlsm file type and be under 1 GB. See: Get data from Excel workbook filesPlease verify the Excel file doens't hit the limits.

To make sure the issue doesn't related to the Flow, please upload the Excel file manually to the same SharePoint folder then get data in Power BI to see if you can do it successfully.  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. We cannot see newely added files to the sharepint folder from power BI. Earlier we used to connect it and we still can connect t the old files. It is the certain files we added recently, that is not letting us connect via power BI. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @garz88,

Based on my test, it's able to get data from SharePoint Excel file which generated by Flow in Power BI. 

In your scenario, please go to the target SharePoint site, verify the Excel file is generated and displayed here firstly. 

As Power BI supports importing or connecting to workbooks created in Excel 2007 and later. Workbooks must be saved as .xlsx or .xlsm file type and be under 1 GB. See: Get data from Excel workbook filesPlease verify the Excel file doens't hit the limits.

To make sure the issue doesn't related to the Flow, please upload the Excel file manually to the same SharePoint folder then get data in Power BI to see if you can do it successfully.  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here's what worked for me -

1. Go to the Sharepoint online site where the excel file is located 2.

2. Use the (...) option next the excel file in Teams site and choose Open > Open in App
3. File opens in Excel. Go to File menu > Info. Use the Copy Path option
4. Paste the path into a note pad and remove the string '?web=1' towards the end.
5. In PowerBI, copy the remaining link and open it using the Web option under GetData

Dear @v-qiuyu-msft 

I have the same problem that I created a new folder (suppose it is called folder X) in Sharepoint next to all exisiting folders (folder A, B, C, D) > then I added one xlsx dataset inside (only 761KB), suppose it is called new_data.xlsx 

Next, I go to the existing data flow on Power BI web (many tables inside here connected from folder A, B, C, D) > New table > Connect to sharepoint as I always do > I see all other folders and files in that path but not the new one (folder X, data_new.xlsx). Do you know how to solve this problem? 

Thank you so much for your answer in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors