Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ElliotP
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

SQL Connection Named Pipes Provider, error:40

Evening,

I'm still having the same issues as before in my previous thread that I thought I had solved. I've done a little troubleshooting and I'm not sure where to go. When I attempt to run queries into tables in my pbix I receive the error "SQL Connection Named Pipes Provider, error:40" on one of the random tables all hosted in the same database.

Here is the error: https://gyazo.com/03f703d0260b43bda59f8e32dcdb4bfe 

Following this guide: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-au/blog/sql-azure-connectivity-troubleshooting-guide/ 

I've created an opening in my windows firewall to 1433. When I run the telnet on the port, I receive this: https://gyazo.com/8b2c4c06df9be90eeeae02ad2dad9afb 

When i follow the steps and attempt to ping my azure sql server's ip, I recieve this output:

https://gyazo.com/82f1fc01d0c7f0da433ad8a737a7d9be

Thoughts on a solution? I have tried running queries into tables on a vm and it bounced for an unknown reason. I sent a frown so I'm hoping to hear back.

13 REPLIES 13
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ElliotP,

1. Please check if you can connect to the Azure SQL database via SSMS. Make sure the Server name and Database name are correct.

2. Verify the IP address of the machine which has Power BI desktop run on. Please create a IP range in Azure SQL which contains that machine IP to allow the connection. See: Azure SQL Database server-level and database-level firewall rules.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msftThanks for the response.

I have done both and the issue still persists. I have a static IP address as well.

Afternoon,

The issue is still occuring; would I best to submit a support ticket?

@v-qiuyu-msft

I saw Connecting to Powerbi Service is now generally available, would it be a better idea to swap over my datasource to powerbi service if my data source is never going to change, just the transformations or?

Hi @ElliotP,

If we get data from Power BI service data source, we are not able to do data modeling in desktop, you can go through this article.

Regarding the get data to Azure SQL data source, please create a support ticket to get dedicated support.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @ElliotP,

If you are Pro user not Pro trial, you should be able to create a support ticket.

Double confirm from you, please try to connect to Azure SQL in SSMS, if it works. Please install the Power BI desktop on this same machine then try again. 

If failed with SSMS, please create another Azure database then connect to it again in SSMS, if still failed, you need to post a issue in Azure SQL Databaseforum.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

I think i might be a trial (360 days), should I try to pay for pro?

My machine can connect with ssms comfortably. Every so often I get the same sql 40 pipes issue, but, I'm able to maintain a stable connection and perform operations upon the database.

Please help lols.

Evening, thanks for the response. I've tried to follow those steps and I'm unable to create a ticket both logged in and logged out as it says that I do not have Power BI pro on my account, I do have a pro subscription, so I'm not sure what that means?

Hi @ElliotP,

Please open IE in Inprivate mode, then sign in with Pro account to try again.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Same issue. It states that I do not have a pro license.

Evening,

Any help would be greatly appreciated, an email or a number to call would be fantastic to resolve my account issue as to why I can't post a support ticket.

This issue is still occuring and it's a limitation.

Evening, sorry to be a pain. Is there a point of contact for support? I have a pro liscence yet I'm unable to open a ticket for some reason.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors