Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAP BW 'Scale Measures' error message when refreshing via PBI service

One of our connections is a direct connection to our SAP BW instance.  Several .pbix files have been written, published to the PBI service and are refreshing successfully via our on-premise Gateway.

I wrote a new .pbix, pointing to a SAP BW query and it refreshes successfully via PBI Desktop; no errors.  I published it to PBI Service and scheduled a refresh.  Both the scheduled refresh via Gateway and the 'Refresh Now' option in PBI Service fail with the below error.  My initial thought is that is is something on the SAP BW side, but can't tell quite what.  There are no measures in the .pbix file.  There are some calculated columns in the .pbix.  Has anyone experienced this?

2017-08-23_11-11-57.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured out the reason.  I don't understand the 'How', but I do know the 'Why'.

When looking at the datasource for the .pbix with the error, it appears the following string was added.  

[ScaleMeasures=false]

Not sure why (maybe a new change in the 2.49.4831.521 Desktop Client?).  I removed the string to match the syntax of a .pbix with the same SAP BW connection that DOES work.  Now the refresh occurs successfully.  Just don't know why/how that string got added.

2017-08-23_11-29-47.jpg

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, the [ScaleMeasures=false] parameter appended in SapBusinessWarehouse.Cubes function automatically when get data from SAP BW in Power BI desktop August version.

I have sent a email to consult this issue internally, will update here if I get any information.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

Please see below response from the PG team:

ScaleMeasures was added to (I think) the May 2017 release of Power BI desktop. It exists because of what seems to be a bug in either BW itself or in the driver we’re using to connect to it, and because we wanted not to change the behavior of preexisting queries. Setting it to false (the default is true) enables the workaround.

To make the gateway work, the customer should just need to update the gateway to the latest version.

Please keep the [ScaleMeasures=false] in your report,  try to download the latest on-premise data gateway to check if the refresh can be successfully.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the feedback.  We installed our on-premise Gateway in May and have not updated it since.  I too thought that we should update it:

A) Because it needs to be current version

B) To test to see if this particular is resolved.

I will do so and reply to the thread to close the loop.

Hi @Anonymous,

Any update about the issue? Is your issue solved now?

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

We have an updated gateway, but this does not seem to resolve the issue. I experienced this problem today, unfortunately.

I'm receiving this same issue as well.  Any solution?  I'm running gateway 14.16.6650.1 (March 2018)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Did updating to the latest version help? We are in a similar situation and need to take a call on this. Awaiting your response 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors